Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This year I put UCL (A*A*A) as my firm and Kings (AAA) as my insurance but on results day I got A*AA so I was forced to accept Kings and all the places at UCL are gone. The thing is I dont want to go to Kings as it is quite low on the league tables for maths. I was thinking about doing a gap year and resitting my 2 A's but i don't know whether UCL will give me an offer as I haven't met their requirements. Do you think I should do a gap year and try and re-apply to UCL or even Warwick or should I just stick with Kings?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LordIlyas)
    This year I put UCL (A*A*A) as my firm and Kings (AAA) as my insurance but on results day I got A*AA so I was forced to accept Kings and all the places at UCL are gone. The thing is I dont want to go to Kings as it is quite low on the league tables for maths. I was thinking about doing a gap year and resitting my 2 A's but i don't know whether UCL will give me an offer as I haven't met their requirements. Do you think I should do a gap year and try and re-apply to UCL or even Warwick or should I just stick with Kings?
    Take a look at this page Edit: Just realised that this is just for the department of statistics, the policy could well vary by department. Perhaps it's worth emailing UCL to ask. The question you need to ask yourself, assuming they say your application would be competitive, is whether you think UCL is really that much greater than KCL that it's worth an entire extra year of your life. I don't know a huge amount about either university and I don't know what course you're applying for but personally, I find it hard to believe that it's worth it - if you chose KCL as your insurance, they can't be that bad. The risk is that you end up essentially wasting a year for little (or potentially no) gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Take a look at this page Edit: Just realised that this is just for the department of statistics, the policy could well vary by department. Perhaps it's worth emailing UCL to ask. The question you need to ask yourself, assuming they say your application would be competitive, is whether you think UCL is really that much greater than KCL that it's worth an entire extra year of your life. I don't know a huge amount about either university and I don't know what course you're applying for but personally, I find it hard to believe that it's worth it - if you chose KCL as your insurance, they can't be that bad. The risk is that you end up essentially wasting a year for little (or potentially no) gain.
    I'm basing the fact that UCL is much higher on university league tables for mathematics. UCL is always in the top 10 for nearly every league table whereas KCL is always around 30th. Also, even if I do not get in to UCL next year I would still get in to Warwick, which is also one of the best maths schools there is as I already hold their entry requirments so I will definately be going to a better university, just wondering if anyone knows if it is worth it or not or any opinions.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.