Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get 1A* (Graphics) 1 Distinction* (ECDL) 5A's(Maths, Science, Additional Science, Business and Computing) 2B(Statistics 2015, English Literature) 1C (English Language). I was disappointed with my Englishes, especially Language (Didn't even know where the **** did that go wrong). Overall, I am satisfied with what I got as I'm going to study A-Level Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I hope to study either Medicine or Mathematics at the top then ranking universities of Britain. My question is, with these results, will it hold me back in terms of applying into these top universities? I really hope to get into a very good university and also do even better with my A-levels. I'm aware of the jump and determined to work harder. Is it possible?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by J-ved)
    I managed to get 1A* (Graphics) 1 Distinction* (ECDL) 5A's(Maths, Science, Additional Science, Business and Computing) 2B(Statistics 2015, English Literature) 1C (English Language). I was disappointed with my Englishes, especially Language (Didn't even know where the **** did that go wrong). Overall, I am satisfied with what I got as I'm going to study A-Level Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I hope to study either Medicine or Mathematics at the top then ranking universities of Britain. My question is, with these results, will it hold me back in terms of applying into these top universities? I really hope to get into a very good university and also do even better with my A-levels. I'm aware of the jump and determined to work harder. Is it possible?
    For Medicine, the C in English Language will limit your options significantly. You'll need to avoid applying to Med Schools that ask for a B or greater if you decide to go down that route.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    For Medicine, the C in English Language will limit your options significantly. You'll need to avoid applying to Med Schools that ask for a B or greater if you decide to go down that route.*
    I see. I'm currently looking through the med school requirements and just making a note as to which I will have a chance in. Thanks for your input!

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics, as far as I'm aware, is more focused on your A-levels - so you should be fine.

Medicine, may be tricky. English language is usually required at grade B, and the rest of your grades don't lend themselves to some medical schools - some have a high cut off of A*'s for example.

However, 'top UK universities' really isn't a thing with medicine. With maths, it matters where you go, but with medicine it doesn't at all - every med school offers the same degree and similar prospects. So you can avoid those which are GCSE focused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Mathematics, as far as I'm aware, is more focused on your A-levels - so you should be fine.

Medicine, may be tricky. English language is usually required at grade B, and the rest of your grades don't lend themselves to some medical schools - some have a high cut off of A*'s for example.

However, 'top UK universities' really isn't a thing with medicine. With maths, it matters where you go, but with medicine it doesn't at all - every med school offers the same degree and similar prospects. So you can avoid those which are GCSE focused.
    So if I were to do medicine, it doesn't really matter as to where I go? I see, thank you for your input. I'm going to see how I go around with A-Levels, in which that should decide what I should do in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.