Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that I've shot myself in the foot already by somewhat screwing up these results, but can a strong performance at A level outweigh what I've done here? I'd really love to apply to study Medicine, but I know that statistically I have a 0% chance of even being shortlisted at Oxford.

English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Computing - A*
    Mathematics - A*
    History - A
    Religious Studies - A
    French - A
    Core Science - A (Bio A, Chem A, Physics A*, CA A*)
    Additional Science - A (A throughout, CA A*)
    Further Additional Science - A (B7 A*, C7 A, P7 A, CA A*)
    Spoiler:
    Show

...and D for Drama.
    E for Additional Maths - cohort did similarly, bad preparation...)

Honest opinions, guys? I'm a little deflated as I know I could've worked harder to increase the proportion of A*s here...

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm applying to Imperial for chemical engineering with only 1A* 7A 1B 1C at GCSE for chemical engineering. But at AS I achieved AAAB, so focus more on your a levels for sure. For both UCL and imperial you have a chance of course, but you'd need to couple the grades with a very strong personal statement/interview and ukcat score. I wouldn't say you have a 0% for oxford, but your chances are very slim. You could try Cambridge if your AS results are exceptional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Well I'm applying to Imperial for chemical engineering with only 1A* 7A 1B 1C at GCSE for chemical engineering. But at AS I achieved AAAB, so focus more on your a levels for sure. For both UCL and imperial you have a chance of course, but you'd need to couple the grades with a very strong personal statement/interview and ukcat score. I wouldn't say you have a 0% for oxford, but your chances are very slim. You could try Cambridge if your AS results are exceptional.
    Thanks for the response! I'll go buy some books to prepare, then. Let me know how the application goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSQL)
    Thanks for the response! I'll go buy some books to prepare, then. Let me know how the application goes
    No problem! I recommend CGP books all the way and maybe the Phillip Allan books too. And sure, when I apply this winter I'll let you know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got 6A*s (sciences, maths, geography and Spanish) 2As (ict and English) and B (English lit)

At AS I got AAAB (maths Chem Spanish and B in physics)

Applied to Cambridge and Imperial. Got rejected from Cambridge without interview (and was told I was in the bottom 20% applicants for my AS, so there you go). Got an interview for imperial that went honest to god AWFUL but I got the AAA offer and accepted it last week with A*AA for Chem.

I know people that applied for medicine so I hope this advice can be of use:

Nail your AS and they won't care too much for your GCSEs

Prepare for the bmat or ukcat as best you can if you need it

Get. Work. Experience. Try hospitals and doctors but if you can't, try care homes. It gives you *way* more to talk abut in your interview. The language is useful too, if you can write it into your PS.

Best of luck people will tell you that your GCSEs are really important but if you really work hard for AS you should be fine ^^
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by NoSQL)
    I'm aware that I've shot myself in the foot already by somewhat screwing up these results, but can a strong performance at A level outweigh what I've done here? I'd really love to apply to study Medicine, but I know that statistically I have a 0% chance of even being shortlisted at Oxford.

English Literature - A*
    English Language - A*
    Computing - A*
    Mathematics - A*
    History - A
    Religious Studies - A
    French - A
    Core Science - A (Bio A, Chem A, Physics A*, CA A*)
    Additional Science - A (A throughout, CA A*)
    Further Additional Science - A (B7 A*, C7 A, P7 A, CA A*)
    Spoiler:
    Show

...and D for Drama.
    E for Additional Maths - cohort did similarly, bad preparation...)
    Honest opinions, guys? I'm a little deflated as I know I could've worked harder to increase the proportion of A*s here...
    Oxford is likely a no sadly, as is Cardiff, Birmingham, Edinburgh and QUB, so all the GCSE heavy schools are ruled out.

But as long as you do well at A2, get a good UKCAT or BMAT score you will likely get an interview at a great medical school if you apply to your strengths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.