Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got my GCSE results with a B in core science (A's in both exams but coursework brought me down) and a B in additional science (B's in both exams and coursework). I would certainly want to do A Level Biology (it interests me) but I don't know if I would be smart enough for it, what do you think and could you tell me some of the universal course details?

I'm sorry I didn't take biology so it's not first hand advice... But it is known for being the most difficult A level in the whole spec.

ReputationRep:
    I do A level biology, and your grades aren't too bad. My college requires at least a B and most others do too. I don't know if you'd be smart enough for it, it depends on what grade you're aiming for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    I do A level biology, and your grades aren't too bad. My college requires at least a B and most others do too. I don't know if you'd be smart enough for it, it depends on what grade you're aiming for.
    I'd be aiming for a B max, I'm not an A student but I'm definitely a hard worker and I can memorise lots at a time.

ReputationRep:
    Biology being one of the hardest is very exaggerated,I took biology for almost an year in AS but ended up dropping it because of personal reasons,Not because it is hard.Physics is probably the hardest IMO,You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnTheHorizon)
    Biology being one of the hardest is very exaggerated,I took biology for almost an year in AS but ended up dropping it because of personal reasons,Not because it is hard.Physics is probably the hardest IMO,You'll be fine.
    thanks for the comment, i'll think about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamSp123)
    Just got my GCSE results with a B in core science (A's in both exams but coursework brought me down) and a B in additional science (B's in both exams and coursework). I would certainly want to do A Level Biology (it interests me) but I don't know if I would be smart enough for it, what do you think and could you tell me some of the universal course details?
    If you're interested in it go for it! I've done AS this year and I really liked it.. I think it's way easier than chemistry. And regarding the grades B at GCSE should be ok and just put the hardwork in and results will come Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Got an A* in the B3 exam (biology triple science), mock grades were Bs and As, then got a D at AS. Dropping it for another subject, wish I could say it was down to lack of studying. Biology is called the easiest science A Level but it is far more difficult compared to non-science A Levels. The content is relatively fine but the exams were horrible - you also need very good maths. It just wasn't for me I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memoriial)
    Got an A* in the B3 exam (biology triple science), mock grades were Bs and As, then got a D at AS. Dropping it for another subject, wish I could say it was down to lack of studying. Biology is called the easiest science A Level but it is far more difficult compared to non-science A Levels. The content is relatively fine but the exams were horrible - you also need very good maths. It just wasn't for me I guess.
    Thanks for the comment and out of curiosity what exam board did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be aiming for a B max, I'm not an A student but I'm definitely a hard worker and I can memorise lots at a time.
    Biology is a lot of memorising things- I found that the concepts weren't actually difficult, there was just a lot to learn. I think a B is the normal minimum for doing the A level, so I think you'll be fine if you put the work in.

Biology was by far my easiest subject at A level (I also did chemistry, physics and maths) so don't be too worried about the difficulty- in my class I think everyone who tried hard at it came out with a decent grade.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comment and out of curiosity what exam board did you do?
    AQA. Part of it I think was down to being taught some of the wrong stuff, with (albeit minor) pieces left out of teaching, but most of all it was the specification that was the problem. I had two textbooks specifically for AQA and neither mentioned one part of digestion of proteins while only one (in the very back, a two line sentence) mentioned statistical tests. I think the specification now (and the teaching style certainly at my college) expected you to be doing A Level Maths, or have lots of maths-based knowledge. Not so great for me, who scraped a B at GCSE compared to the other 9 A*-A grades.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what exam board the subject is on at your college/sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L0st45)
    Do you know what exam board the subject is on at your college/sixth form?
    OCR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.