Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

19 and still don't think I'm ready to be in a relationship- is this normal? Watch

I've kissed guys at uni (though have been drunk or had some alcohol whenever I've kissed any guy) and been on a date as well but I didn't like him as more than a friend so told him this straight after it as I didn't want to lead him on.
    I thought towards the end of last term that I wanted a boyfriend as many of my friends around me had one but over this summer holiday I've been reflecting and I just realised I don't think I'm ready for one.
    The idea of having one intimidates me a little as I've never been in a relationship before and wouldn't know how to act with a boyfriend or what to do? I can't imagine myself just randomly initiating sex or intimacy with them as I feel like I'd just be really awkward and rigid because I have never kissed or done anything sexual with a guy when sober, it's always been when I've drank some alcohol :/
    I got tinder and some guys on there asked me out on tinder dates/ asked for my number but I either ignored them or changed the subject.
    Don't get me wrong I'm attracted to guys and have had crushes on guys at uni (but not in secondary school because I went to an all girls school), but nothing has ever come of these as I'll never approach a guy myself, I always wait for them to come to me (which hasn't happened with the guys I find really good looking/crush on )

Is this normal? I feel like at my age I should at least try a relationship but just the idea of being alone with a guy I'm dating in a restaurant etc intimidates me and I don't want to do it. I have guy friends and that's okay but dating intimidates me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've kissed guys at uni (though have been drunk or had some alcohol whenever I've kissed any guy) and been on a date as well but I didn't like him as more than a friend so told him this straight after it as I didn't want to lead him on.
    I thought towards the end of last term that I wanted a boyfriend as many of my friends around me had one but over this summer holiday I've been reflecting and I just realised I don't think I'm ready for one.
    The idea of having one intimidates me a little as I've never been in a relationship before and wouldn't know how to act with a boyfriend or what to do? I can't imagine myself just randomly initiating sex or intimacy with them as I feel like I'd just be really awkward and rigid because I have never kissed or done anything sexual with a guy when sober, it's always been when I've drank some alcohol :/
    I got tinder and some guys on there asked me out on tinder dates/ asked for my number but I either ignored them or changed the subject.
    Don't get me wrong I'm attracted to guys and have had crushes on guys at uni (but not in secondary school because I went to an all girls school), but nothing has ever come of these as I'll never approach a guy myself, I always wait for them to come to me (which hasn't happened with the guys I find really good looking/crush on )

Is this normal? I feel like at my age I should at least try a relationship but just the idea of being alone with a guy I'm dating in a restaurant etc intimidates me and I don't want to do it. I have guy friends and that's okay but dating intimidates me
    I think it is normal, for example I'm 18 and have never wanted a relationship and can't see myself being in one. I suppose it is such a personal thing and I believe it is normal!

I feel a bit do dread when I think of being in one: in my head it'll just be loads of awkward silences sat across each other in a restaurant or coffee shop

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a relationship at 18, I kept it closed till 18 to sort myself out; I'm now considering if I'm better off single as I'm not even done and all it causes is downturns. Unless your stable I wouldn't go in a relationship...

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I personally think you're not really interested in being in a relationship at this stage of your life. Maybe when you're much older you may start to grow interest.... Anyways, don't worry nothing's wrong with you lol

(Original post by Meheck)
    Yeah, I personally think you're not really interested in being in a relationship at this stage of your life. Maybe when you're much older you may start to grow interest.... Anyways, don't worry nothing's wrong with you lol
    How will I know when I'm ready for a relationship?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm 18 and I don't think I'm ready for dating either, this realisation dawned on me during this summer too, I did a lot reflecting lol.

You'll be ready in your own time, you shouldn't compare yourself so much to girls in relationships, we all ease and mature into different parts of life at different times.
    I thought I was weird cause of my inexperience, but a good friend made me realise it doesn't make me any less equal, it simply means I'm lacking in that 'subject'.

I guess you'll be ready when you become more stable in life..but life works in curious ways, we never are truly stable, but it means when you feel ok with the idea of dating.

Bump

ReputationRep:

Yikes, I feel like I just read my own life story lmao.

It's ok bud, take your time, you're not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine, take your time

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when you feel like settling down with someone....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.