• Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Right, so I've got about 500 pictures I want to put onto my computer (running Windows 10). I downloaded Smart Switch and the driver, and it's not recognising the phone when I plug it in.

I spoke to someone over live chat, and he suggested pressing *#0808# to go into settings and check that my phone was set to AP and that MTP + ADB were ticked. They weren't, so I ticked them and clicked 'save'. It still didn't work, so I went back into the settings and it hadn't saved it. I tried again 3 times, with no luck. Also tried restarting the phone and trying again, and nothing worked.

The person I chatted to said it required to be reset and to take it to an engineer (the closest place is 25 miles away), but I know I will lose my pics if I do that. Does anyone know what I can do? Emailing the pics would take forever

ReputationRep:
    You could also try Android File Transfer (that's what it's called on OS X but I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent) Let's you drag and drop whatever file on your device to your laptop!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    You could also try Android File Transfer (that's what it's called on OS X but I'm sure there's a Windows equivalent) Let's you drag and drop whatever file on your device to your laptop!
    Will that work if my laptop isn't even recognising that my phone is plugged in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Will that work if my laptop isn't even recognising that my phone is plugged in?
    When you connect your phone to your laptop, you need to unlock it from the lock screen and change the connection setting to MTP, that should allow the laptop to recognize it 👍🏾
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    When you connect your phone to your laptop, you need to unlock it from the lock screen and change the connection setting to MTP, that should allow the laptop to recognize it 👍🏾
    It was unlocked and I had tried to change the settings, but they didn't save when I did, even though I did click 'save' (when I went back into the options, it wasn't ticked)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    It was unlocked and I had tried to change the settings, but they didn't save when I did, even though I did click 'save' (when I went back into the options, it wasn't ticked)
    Do you have the latest drivers for the phone on your computer? I personally never connected my S6 to a Windows computer so can't think of what it could be besides that
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Do you have the latest drivers for the phone on your computer? I personally never connected my S6 to a Windows computer so can't think of what it could be besides that
    Yeah I downloaded the drivers through the Smart Switch app and it still didn't work!

ReputationRep:
    Samsung desktop manager could help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are you checking that the device shows up in the windows explorer or device manager? If it isn't then you've probably got a driver problem, or possibly a dead USB port or cable.

Personally I don't recommend this method anyway. I use a an app such as OneSync, DropSync or FolderSync to automatically (while on WiFi) upload my files to a cloud service (OneDrive, Dropbox, my personal cloud, etc.) Naturally it'll take a lot longer to initially upload than using USB but once it is set up you can leave it running in the background. All your files are automatically backed up and you can access them from any PC at any time by logging into your cloud. Also works both ways, so you can add files on your computer and they will be synced to your phone.

This is far simpler to plugging in a USB cable every time and automatically backs up whatever you want so you're never at risk of losing data.

And then I noticed the post date :/
    This has probably been sorted by now but I'll leave this here anyway
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah it turned out it was the cable... Managed to get one from someone that works better now But hopefully this thread can be useful for someone else

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.