Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys, I'm here to wish you good luck and tell you something.

I already posted this story in the GCSE results day thread but I want current secondary school students to hear this too.

Never let anybody tell you that you can't do something...

I missed a lot of school in Primary and my Year 5 teacher hated me for it. I was lucky to have such a good Year 6 teacher who grew my confidence throughout that year. We did our SATS in Year 6, as did everyone. I was in low sets (yes we had sets in Year 6 to prepare for secondary) as I had my low attendance and my teachers didn't think I could even get a Level 3. SATS came and I didn't really think anything of them, I treated them like normal school work really.

Skip to about a month later and my parents are thrilled with my 5as and I didn't understand why, to be honest. A day or two after that I was outside waiting for my friend who was in year 5, her teacher (my former teacher who hated me) saw me and signaled for me to come in. I was nervous going in because I knew he hated me. He looked at me and then hung up on his phone and with a smug face said "Go on then, what did you get in your results" and I told him. His smug face went to anger and he said "Well, that's just luck and chance" and as an 11-year-old I didn't understand what he was saying to me and that he was trying to offend me really. He then said to me "This time in five years you'll be doing your GCSEs, and boy, you won't even pass them. Your attendance here made me wanna throw up. They're graded in letters there and they're not easy. Boy, a girl like you won't even come out with Cs if you keep your attendance up" and I was shocked, taking it all in because I didn't even know what the purpose of secondary school was until then. He laughed at me and told me that if I kept my attendance low, I'd be kicked out or if I'm lucky, I'd get Ds.

Now that stayed with me as I grew in the last five years and so did my bad attendance (57% wow so bad) and I told myself that I probably can't get Cs so what's the point? Hit February time, I got a C in my Biology mock and I was pretty shocked, I then realised. It. Is. Possible. It hit me that maybe I should try, so I spent my lunch times improving coursework and revising, any spare time I had I dedicated to revision and I tried to get Cs when I left school. My teachers told me I was worth As but probably won't get them. I went to results day not expecting much and praying for an A. I opened my results yesterday and got 1 D, 3 Cs, 5 Bs and an A. (The D wasn't even my fault!) and I was upset as people on here got high marks but I realised, I'm not them. My attendance is low and my thoughts went back to my Year 5 teacher and I could still hear his words. "If you're lucky you'd get Ds" and "A girl like you won't come out with Cs" and I realised, more Bs than Cs. I looked at my grades again, I got an A on a subject I thought I'd get a C on because I thought I wasn't even worth it. I looked, I got the grades I needed to study my dream courses at college. I'm telling you this because for the simple reason is...

You are worth it.

Don't ever let people put you down because if you do your best you can show them that you are strong and their comments mean NOTHING. Zero. I battled depression and anxiety and my phobia of school for FIVE years. I came out with grades I needed and today I am enrolling in college. I want you GCSE kids to know that your grades are what you make them and if you don't get what you want, try again and try again because you can do it. Someone believes in you. I believe in you. You are amazing. Keep going. This stands for the people who recieved their results too. Well done, the fact you're on this site shows you care. Well done.

Speech Over.

- Sparrow
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    An inspiring story - thanks for sharing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)

I already posted this story in the GCSE results day thread but I want current secondary school students to hear this too.

I missed a lot of school in Primary and my Year 5 teacher hated me for it. I was lucky to have such a good Year 6 teacher who grew my confidence throughout that year. We did our SATS in Year 6, as did everyone. I was in low sets (yes we had sets in Year 6 to prepare for secondary) as I had my low attendance and my teachers didn't think I could even get a Level 3. SATS came and I didn't really think anything of them, I treated them like normal school work really.

Skip to about a month later and my parents are thrilled with my 5as and I didn't understand why, to be honest. A day or two after that I was outside waiting for my friend who was in year 5, her teacher (my former teacher who hated me) saw me and signaled for me to come in. I was nervous going in because I knew he hated me. He looked at me and then hung up on his phone and with a smug face said "Go on then, what did you get in your results" and I told him. His smug face went to anger and he said "Well, that's just luck and chance" and as an 11-year-old I didn't understand what he was saying to me and that he was trying to offend me really. He then said to me "This time in five years you'll be doing your GCSEs, and boy, you won't even pass them. Your attendance here made me wanna throw up. They're graded in letters there and they're not easy. Boy, a girl like you won't even come out with Cs if you keep your attendance up" and I was shocked, taking it all in because I didn't even know what the purpose of secondary school was until then. He laughed at me and told me that if I kept my attendance low, I'd be kicked out or if I'm lucky, I'd get Ds.

Now that stayed with me as I grew in the last five years and so did my bad attendance (57% wow so bad) and I told myself that I probably can't get Cs so what's the point? Hit February time, I got a C in my Biology mock and I was pretty shocked, I then realised. It. Is. Possible. It hit me that maybe I should try, so I spent my lunch times improving coursework and revising, any spare time I had I dedicated to revision and I tried to get Cs when I left school. My teachers told me I was worth As but probably won't get them. I went to results day not expecting much and praying for an A. I opened my results yesterday and got 1 D, 3 Cs, 5 Bs and an A. (The D wasn't even my fault!) and I was upset as people on here got high marks but I realised, I'm not them. My attendance is low and my thoughts went back to my Year 5 teacher and I could still hear his words. "If you're lucky you'd get Ds" and "A girl like you won't come out with Cs" and I realised, more Bs than Cs. I looked at my grades again, I got an A on a subject I thought I'd get a C on because I thought I wasn't even worth it. I looked, I got the grades I needed to study my dream courses at college. I'm telling you this because for the simple reason is...

You are worth it.

Don't ever let people put you down because if you do your best you can show them that you are strong and their comments mean NOTHING. Zero. I battled depression and anxiety and my phobia of school for FIVE years. I came out with grades I needed and today I am enrolling in college. I want you GCSE kids to know that your grades are what you make them and if you don't get what you want, try again and try again because you can do it. Someone believes in you. I believe in you. You are amazing. Keep going. This stands for the people who recieved their results too. Well done, the fact you're on this site shows you care. Well done.

Speech Over.

- Sparrow
    Thanks a lot really needed that

ReputationRep:

You are worth it.

Speech Over.

- Sparrow
    Thanks for your inspiring words. I always dreamed of getting an A* in Maths but always ended up getting C's in my mock due to panicking. My teachers lost faith in me and moved me down a set but I didn't give up and I ended up with an A* in the real one. I'm going to be in year 11 this month and your words motivate me that I can get higher than the D's and C's I have been predicted with hard work. Thanks once again for boosting my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful story! I would go back to him and tell him my grades just to see himself getting embarrassed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for sharing your story
    I feel truly motivated to start year 11 this month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You are worth it.

Speech Over.

- Sparrow
    A truly amazing post that will help me get through my last year at school doing A levels and the reason for this is how bad I done in my AS's. Hearing a story like yours means you should never give up no matter how bad you do in an exam / exams. There will always be people in life that will put you down but you should strive to prove them wrong no matter how hard it takes. This year going into to A2 level I really am going to work hard and not let any of my teachers get in the way from getting at least ABB especially when one or two of them believe I can't but with struggling to get through AS with 4 subjects I know I can get through A2 with 3 subjects.
    For me the first step to getting through my final year of A levels is to always to be positive and don't let teachers make you feel like rubbish.
    Thank you for helping me to feel much better about myself and to know that if you put your mind to it you really can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your teacher was horrible
    When I was in primary school, I use to be the dumbest person in my class and never studied. Just played with Barbie My teachers were very nice though, unlike your mean-spirited teacher, They were happy with whatever level I'd achieve, even level 3's would make them smile But, some people in my year group looked down at me. I left primary school with level 3's and 4's in my SATs and started year 7 in the same way. People though I was stupid So at year 8 I wanted to change things around and achieved levels 6's in science, 5's in maths and 4's in English...which is still bad but.....in year 10 I had a achieved a grade B in my mock! I was happy with my other subjects too. No one thinks of me as dumb So yeah, don't judge people

ReputationRep:
    Wow such an inspiring story! But what a mean discouraging teacher- not even capable of being a teacher because discouraging isn't what a teacher is supposed to do. I know how you feel. I missed quite a lot of school myself cos of being ill- in yr8 my report read I had 64 authorised absences and it may well have risen to 70 by the end of the yr. I did well by getting a 5c in my English SATs in yr6 but got 3a I my maths-undoubtedly one of the dumbest in the class but constantly floating from our yr6 maths support class and the middle set. Fast forward 5 Years later and I get an A in maths, A* in language and an A in literature. I give a lot of credit to our school especially for maths as there was a lot of support for us but I worked hard to change things. My yr6 teacher once (without taking my name but I'm sure the whole class may have worked out who she was talking about) made p, in a way, a joke out of the mistake I made when doing a fractions question my maths SATs- i used to find fractions a killer so couldn't see what was so funny at the time but many others seemed to find it funny. I'm sure she'd never believe I improved so much. I end d up getting 2A*s, 3As, 2Bs, 3Cs and 1D the D was so unexpected and very painful but then again a subject I don't need

ReputationRep:
    Wow a very interesting story yeah if people tell me I not good enough I say I can do it I can work hard and get a * remember what the teachers said it how much you want it you cancel hobbies and meeting friends just to study but education always come first before hobbies

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.