Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I received my gcse results yesterday and I am happy with them, however with the lack of A*s and a couple of Bs i was just wondering if i could still have a chance of going to cambridge to study veterinary medicine.

My grades are:
    Mathematics- A*
    Biology- A*
    Chemistry- A
    Physics- A
    English language- A
    English literature- A* (idk how lol)
    History- A
    French- A
    Spanish- B
    Psychology- A*
    Sociology-B
    Art- A
    Statistics- A
    ICT- B
    PE- A
    Citizenship- A

So overall i have 4 A*, 9 A, 3 B.

Next year the A-levels i am doing are biology, chemistry, maths & psychology and obviously i am going to put in all my effort to try and get the best grades possible, but i know how cambridge consider your gcse results too. My question is will these gcse results even have a chance of gaining me a place at Cambridge even with outstanding A Level results?

Many thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    Oxford tend to care more about gcse grades, Cambridge look more at your UMS at AS level. So, if you were to get high A grades at AS in the subjects they say they want (probably all but psychology are important), you have a very good shot still. Interviews and AS UMS are pretty much the only thing cambs care about. You could increase chances by taking further maths or Physics instead of psychology, but all in all, you still have a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnpnstn)
    Oxford tend to care more about gcse grades, Cambridge look more at your UMS at AS level. So, if you were to get high A grades at AS in the subjects they say they want (probably all but psychology are important), you have a very good shot still. Interviews and AS UMS are pretty much the only thing cambs care about. You could increase chances by taking further maths or Physics instead of psychology, but all in all, you still have a good chance.
    Thank you very much yeah I would have taken further maths but I don't think i would have done very well in it as i know maths is going to be hard enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.