Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think 4A*s, 4As and 1B is good enough at GCSE to get into a top uni? I was a couple of marks away from an A* at maths and additional science at GCSE. Do universities care if it was almost an A*, or is it still just an A grade to them?

Also, because I want to do something science related at uni, does it matter that I got As in science and maths at GCSE, or would they rather pick a student with A*s in science and maths over me?

Finally, do universities ask you how many A*s you got (so JUST A*s, no other grades), or do they ask how many A*s AND As you got (collectively)?

I really hope these questions can get answered. Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    What are you looking to apply to?

If medicine , it may count for some unis
    Everything else, nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazuhira)
    What are you looking to apply to?

If medicine , it may count for some unis
    Everything else, nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Either medicine, dentistry, chemistry...just science related courses really. Should my GCSE grades be higher, or are they strong for the courses at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are amazing! I definitely think they will get you into the top ten. Not sure about Cambridge or Oxford, as they particularly look into GCSEs (Oxford, more so than Cambridge) But i don't think that the other top uni's, care too much about GCSEs, as long as you have at least B grade minimum in Maths, English and Science. However, everything i just said may become irrelevant, if it's Medicine, or something in the similar field .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Might be considered if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge also. Oxford have a reputation for placing more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge from what I've heard if you are (I have 4A*, 4A and 3B at GCSE, so go for it if you think you are capable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    Might be considered if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge also. Oxford have a reputation for placing more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge from what I've heard if you are (I have 4A*, 4A and 3B at GCSE, so go for it if you think you are capable)
    So even if I get 3A*s at A level, my chances at getting accepted at Oxbridge will get hindered by my GCSE results. Is that true or not?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.