The Student Room Group

Chances for Placement

Hello there,

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and going into my 2nd year soon. Unfortunately I got a 2.2 which isn't that great :frown:
With placement opportunities for my 3rd year coming up. I wanted to know what is the likelihood of getting a placement and what should I do to increase my chances?
Anyone who has been in a similar position, I would love your opinions.

Thanks
Original post by Dranzerrr
Hello there,

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and going into my 2nd year soon. Unfortunately I got a 2.2 which isn't that great :frown:
With placement opportunities for my 3rd year coming up. I wanted to know what is the likelihood of getting a placement and what should I do to increase my chances?

Thanks

I mean, like, it's definitely harder if you're currently achieving at the 2:2 level but there is so much more to it than that, and hence no one can tell you your chances... Try to bring it up to a 2:1. Make strong, targeted applications, network etc. to boost your chances.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I mean, like, it's definitely harder if you're currently achieving at the 2:2 level but there is so much more to it than that, and hence no one can tell you your chances... Try to bring it up to a 2:1. Make strong, targeted applications, network etc. to boost your chances.

Thanks for that.

Yeah defs need to put in more effort for the semester 1 exams. If I am able to get a 2.1 for those is that likely to help?
Also, are my chances better with smaller companies since they probably don't emphasise on grades as much??
Yeah defs need to put in more effort for the semester 1 exams. If I am able to get a 2.1 for those is that likely to help?

If the organisations you're applying to are asking for grades then it'll help a bit.

Also, are my chances better with smaller companies since they probably don't emphasise on grades as much??

Possibly. You don't know until you apply.
Reply 4
Hello there,

Thanks

Your best bet will be to apply to small/medium sized companies. You'll have much better luck there!
If you've got a high 2:2 then just write that you're on track for a 2:1 on your CV. Also you might want to look at the guidelines for taking a year in industry with your course, for my uni you needed to achieve 60% or you wouldn't be allowed on it (although in practice there was a couple of percent leniency).
Reply 6
Original post by a10
Your best bet will be to apply to small/medium sized companies. You'll have much better luck there!

Yeah that's what a few friends were telling me.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
If you've got a high 2:2 then just write that you're on track for a 2:1 on your CV. Also you might want to look at the guidelines for taking a year in industry with your course, for my uni you needed to achieve 60% or you wouldn't be allowed on it (although in practice there was a couple of percent leniency).

It was a pretty solid 2:2 unfortunately haha.
Alright will check on that but.
Btw which uni?
It was a pretty solid 2:2 unfortunately haha.
Alright will check on that but.
Btw which uni?

Ah oh well

University of Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest