Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and going into my 2nd year soon. Unfortunately I got a 2.2 which isn't that great
    With placement opportunities for my 3rd year coming up. I wanted to know what is the likelihood of getting a placement and what should I do to increase my chances?
    Anyone who has been in a similar position, I would love your opinions.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dranzerrr)
    Hello there,

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and going into my 2nd year soon. Unfortunately I got a 2.2 which isn't that great
    With placement opportunities for my 3rd year coming up. I wanted to know what is the likelihood of getting a placement and what should I do to increase my chances?

Thanks
    I mean, like, it's definitely harder if you're currently achieving at the 2:2 level but there is so much more to it than that, and hence no one can tell you your chances... Try to bring it up to a 2:1. Make strong, targeted applications, network etc. to boost your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I mean, like, it's definitely harder if you're currently achieving at the 2:2 level but there is so much more to it than that, and hence no one can tell you your chances... Try to bring it up to a 2:1. Make strong, targeted applications, network etc. to boost your chances.
    Thanks for that.

Yeah defs need to put in more effort for the semester 1 exams. If I am able to get a 2.1 for those is that likely to help?
    Also, are my chances better with smaller companies since they probably don't emphasise on grades as much??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah defs need to put in more effort for the semester 1 exams. If I am able to get a 2.1 for those is that likely to help?
    If the organisations you're applying to are asking for grades then it'll help a bit.

Also, are my chances better with smaller companies since they probably don't emphasise on grades as much??
    Possibly. You don't know until you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Thanks
    Your best bet will be to apply to small/medium sized companies. You'll have much better luck there!

ReputationRep:
    If you've got a high 2:2 then just write that you're on track for a 2:1 on your CV. Also you might want to look at the guidelines for taking a year in industry with your course, for my uni you needed to achieve 60% or you wouldn't be allowed on it (although in practice there was a couple of percent leniency).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Your best bet will be to apply to small/medium sized companies. You'll have much better luck there!
    Yeah that's what a few friends were telling me.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    If you've got a high 2:2 then just write that you're on track for a 2:1 on your CV. Also you might want to look at the guidelines for taking a year in industry with your course, for my uni you needed to achieve 60% or you wouldn't be allowed on it (although in practice there was a couple of percent leniency).
    It was a pretty solid 2:2 unfortunately haha.
    Alright will check on that but.
    Btw which uni?

ReputationRep:
    It was a pretty solid 2:2 unfortunately haha.
    Alright will check on that but.
    Btw which uni?
    Ah oh well

University of Sheffield

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.