Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a scientist working in a lab, developing drugs. Which uni course will allow me to do that job...medicine, chemistry, pharmacy etc?

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacology mostly but any general science can lead to it
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Student150)
    I want to be a scientist working in a lab, developing drugs. Which uni course will allow me to do that job...medicine, chemistry, pharmacy etc?

Thank you very much!
    Hey there - as written above, many sciences can get you there. Which do you think you'll enjoy most?

We know people who studied Chemistry who currently work on developing drugs

Good luck!
    From,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student150)

Thank you very much!
    Medicinal Chemistry is probably a good degree to look into if you want to synthesise new chemicals to test on targets. Pharmacology is good if you want to work out how drugs work and how the body handles them, in both animals and humans. Pharmacy is probably good if you a) want to work as a pharmacist and b) if you want to develop novel formulations for drugs. Either way, you will almost certainly need a relevant higher qualification (PhD) to start doing something substantial, e.g. where you actually lead research and papers that come along with it.

Hope this helps

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.