LNAT help

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been using 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law' by Shepherd (2nd edition).

I did practice test 1 yesterday and got 25.
    Today I did practice test 2 and got 22.

Both were done in the 95 minutes allowed.

However, the results are worrying because I heard that the books are usually easier than the real thing so to be getting this low in scary.

I'm applying to 3 LNAT unis which I heard is stupid but I can't help it: Kings, UCL and Nottingham. What I'm wondering is how low can I get on the real thing for me to stand a chance and not get rejected ON THE BASIS of my LNAT? Like an average for unis mentioned above or any cut-off point they might've mentioned?

What should I do to improve my score? I'm at a loss so any advice would be great.

Also, I just did an essay in 35 minutes including planning (I usually reserve 5 minutes to double check everything) and wrote 511 words (I heard between 500 and 600 is fine) but as that is on the lower end of 500, I feel like I am cutting it close. Should I try another essay aiming for more words?

Sorry this is so long. I'm just so stressed right now so any help would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    This is the book I used first and I found it so blooming difficult to get my head around the answers at first - don't worry!

It isn't stupid at all to apply to 3 LNAT universities - I applied to Oxford, Durham and Nottingham (and then York and Lancaster, which did not require it) and was accepted by all 5 (score of 28). Oxford and Durham are a little bit picky with the LNAT (obviously), although I know of multiple people who got into both with scores of 23. Of course, they must have had perfect GCSEs and have nailed the interview - but it is doable! For slightly less competitive unis, such as Nottingham, I have heard that they might even accept scores of around 19 and below, although the better your predicted grades, the more likely this is and the quicker they will get back to you. With low predicted grades and a low MC score, it can take forever.

You are only on tests 1 and 2 - you have absolutely ages to go yet and to improve. Once you go through all of those tests, then you can move on and buy another book (which I definitely recommend - the more books you use, the less fixated you are with a particular one's style or way of thinking). Honestly, you will only get better! :-)

Personally, I think it was my essay that impressed any tutors that dealt with my application more than my MC score, so maybe just focus on getting at least 23 in the MC and then writing a kick-ass essay? Every time I give advice for the essay section I say two things:
    1) Make sure your typing speed is very, very quick - the more time you have to go back and reword/check, the better.
    2) Go on www.debatingmatters.com and read about each topic - it is very possible that the essays will be based on one of these topics, so if you have some background knowledge and points at the forefront of your mind you will write more confidently and more quickly.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need any help!

ReputationRep:
    Guys the LNAT is not as hard as everyone says, all that you require is three skills. >Critically think >Analyse given information and pick out the correct one > Present your views in a manner in which you give justice to both sides. And also it is very important to practice lots of past papers for which there is no specific book that you should buy, you can buy any book you want and the best and free thing to do is to read the comment section of a good quality newspaper and try to understand how the writer is giving justice to both views.

If you require any furthey advice then you can write to me at [email protected] and you can also check out my blog post https://lnathelp.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    Guys the LNAT is not as hard as everyone says, all that you require is three skills. >Critically think >Analyse given information and pick out the correct one > Present your views in a manner in which you give justice to both sides. And also it is very important to practice lots of past papers for which there is no specific book that you should buy, you can buy any book you want and the best and free thing to do is to read the comment section of a good quality newspaper and try to understand how the writer is giving justice to both views.

If you require any furthey advice then you can write to me at [email protected] and you can also check out my blog post https://lnathelp.wordpress.com

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.