Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've managed to bag an in-store assessment with Marks and Spence's.

The dilemma... the jobs is 30+ hours and I am a student at college (going into my second year with one AS and taking on a brand new BTEC extended diploma).

I'm so happy that I've made it to the assessment, but as a student I believe that 30+ hours is way too much and I don't know what to do. I still want the job and I want to take it on, even though it's 30+ hours.

Do you think if I try to negotiate with them they'll be put off and turn me away,

I've been looking for a job since last year summer, this is the first in-store assessment I've managed to get. I need it.

HELP ME PLEASE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradesUnlocked)
    Right, I've managed to bag an in-store assessment with Marks and Spence's.

The dilemma... the jobs is 30+ hours and I am a student at college (going into my second year with one AS and taking on a brand new BTEC extended diploma).

I'm so happy that I've made it to the assessment, but as a student I believe that 30+ hours is way too much and I don't know what to do. I still want the job and I want to take it on, even though it's 30+ hours.

Do you think if I try to negotiate with them they'll be put off and turn me away,

I've been looking for a job since last year summer, this is the first in-store assessment I've managed to get. I need it.

HELP ME PLEASE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    You should do the assessment and ask them once you get in.
    I think they probably know you're a student, so don't worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    You should do the assessment and ask them once you get in.
    I think they probably know you're a student, so don't worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh alright, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I went ahead with the assessment and once I passed I tried to negotiate my hours with them. They were simply not interested when I told them I could do a maximum of 15 hours during sixth form (earlier you have to confirm you can work the required number of hours and shifts). So although I passed the assessment they didn't offer me that particular job.

4 months later they had a Saturday job vacancy and put me forward for that, so you never know. I suggest going to the assessment regardless and explain your situation. If they automatically say no, ask if you can be contacted regarding future vacancies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.