The Student Room Group

Maths in Biology

Hey, I'm trying to catch up on the mathematics side of biology before I start A2.
However, my teacher last year did not teach any of the maths last year and told us all we should know how to do it already but on every math question she gived us she always got mad as we all got no marks on any math question.

This makes it frustrating when doing past papers for myself, due to the fact that I know I will loose 15% of marks due to being incapable of doing the maths.

So I'm struggling on how to do this question
asd.png
and how to calculate the heart beats per minute. I have no idea how to start but I know the answer is around 86 bpm. Can you give me a step by step instruction on how to do these questions?

I also wouldn't mind if anyone had a link to a guide for all of biology type mathematics questions. It would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 1
The questions says that the table shows one cardiac cycle, so you know that a cardiac cycle occurs in 0.07 seconds.
The time taken for a heart beat is essentially the time taken for one cardiac cycle to occur, so to find the number of cardiac cycles/heart beats completed in 1 minute, you do 60/0.07 = 85.7 bpm which is around 86 bpm.

I don't have any resources for maths in biology unfortunately, but the CGP revision guide has a practical skills section that has quite a lot of maths in it and may be useful
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending