Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Programming languages in IT/Computing type degrees watch

ReputationRep:
    What kind of programming languages do you learn in your IT/Computing courses (besides Java)?

ReputationRep:
    It depends, C++ is probably the other very common one, things like Fortran may be still used (I am not sure).

You may use other langauges such as C#, VB and PHP as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. How about pascal and delphi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Ok. How about pascal and delphi?
    I don't think its widly used, Delphi is used a bit in industry but I don't think many universities use it. Pascal is out dated and not used anymore it was only ever an educational language used for colleges and schools.

Java and C++ is the main languages.

ReputationRep:
    haskal, c, java are probably the main 3 done at most unis for comp sci.
    other things u may touch on would be html, pascal etc but prolly not as in depth as the other 3 above

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. I guess I have to practice some VB, Java, C, C++, C#, and PHP then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Thanks for the info. I guess I have to practice some VB, Java, C, C++, C#, and PHP then.
    C++ and Java will be your safest bet, PHP is very worth while to learn because you it makes making good database driven websites quite easy. Its easier than ASP. I doubt you would learn ASP on a standard computer science course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

When it comes to programming modules, does coursework worth more than written examinations or is it weighted equally?

ReputationRep:
    course work normally is wieghted more heavily than exams in programing modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    course work normally is wieghted more heavily than exams in programing modules.
    Yep its very difficult to set programming exams and probably very unfair. I had an HTML exam once where we had to draw out what the website would look like. Thatwas in the first year.

However expecting you to write a fully brown C++ application under examing conditions is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yep its very difficult to set programming exams and probably very unfair. I had an HTML exam once where we had to draw out what the website would look like. Thatwas in the first year.

However expecting you to write a fully brown C++ application under examing conditions is stupid.

ha tell me about it, its just totally unfair to ask you to write a program in an exam, design one yeah go for it, but actually write one!! i pity the fool

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.