Programming languages in IT/Computing type degrees

Watch
This discussion is closed.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
What kind of programming languages do you learn in your IT/Computing courses (besides Java)?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It depends, C++ is probably the other very common one, things like Fortran may be still used (I am not sure).

You may use other langauges such as C#, VB and PHP as well.
trev
Rep:
?
Ok. How about pascal and delphi?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev1122)
Ok. How about pascal and delphi?
I don't think its widly used, Delphi is used a bit in industry but I don't think many universities use it. Pascal is out dated and not used anymore it was only ever an educational language used for colleges and schools.

Java and C++ is the main languages.
ThE_OnE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
haskal, c, java are probably the main 3 done at most unis for comp sci.
other things u may touch on would be html, pascal etc but prolly not as in depth as the other 3 above
trev
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info. I guess I have to practice some VB, Java, C, C++, C#, and PHP then.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by trev1122)
Thanks for the info. I guess I have to practice some VB, Java, C, C++, C#, and PHP then.
C++ and Java will be your safest bet, PHP is very worth while to learn because you it makes making good database driven websites quite easy. Its easier than ASP. I doubt you would learn ASP on a standard computer science course.
trev
Rep:
?
Thanks again.

When it comes to programming modules, does coursework worth more than written examinations or is it weighted equally?
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
course work normally is wieghted more heavily than exams in programing modules.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
course work normally is wieghted more heavily than exams in programing modules.
Yep its very difficult to set programming exams and probably very unfair. I had an HTML exam once where we had to draw out what the website would look like. Thatwas in the first year.

However expecting you to write a fully brown C++ application under examing conditions is stupid.
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yep its very difficult to set programming exams and probably very unfair. I had an HTML exam once where we had to draw out what the website would look like. Thatwas in the first year.

However expecting you to write a fully brown C++ application under examing conditions is stupid.

ha tell me about it, its just totally unfair to ask you to write a program in an exam, design one yeah go for it, but actually write one!! i pity the fool
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads