Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd always dismissed Archaeology and focused on reading modern history.But then I've just realised that actually archaeology and ancient history does interest me! As a child I was always digging or going metal detectoring (perish the thought!) or watching time team. So I think the interest needs to be explored further.I'm reading books on celts at the moment and are fascinating.
    But the sticking point is my AS:
    Econ 86%
    Geo 93.5%
    English B high
    History C - a in one module d in the other
    +welshbac that cambridge accept as part of their offer
    Gcse 6a* 6a
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by DanielSmith1999)
    I'd always dismissed Archaeology and focused on reading modern history.But then I've just realised that actually archaeology and ancient history does interest me! As a child I was always digging or going metal detectoring (perish the thought!) or watching time team. So I think the interest needs to be explored further.I'm reading books on celts at the moment and are fascinating.
    Econ 88%
    Geo 95%
    English B high
    Gcse 6a* 6a
    Yes you are likely to get an interview.

You can check the entry requirements here
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...es/archaeology

ReputationRep:
    Econ 88%
    Geo 95%
    English B high
    Gcse 6a* 6a
    (Original post by jneill)

I'd agree on getting an interview bit, but C in History (the most relevant subject) may cause some concern.

OP, I think you may need to beef-up your super-curricular as much as you can if you want to improve your chance of successful application.
    Though your Geography and Economics are strong, which is very good, you also have a B in English, so if you're applying with 4 A-subjects, you'll need to improve the grades of both English and History. And if you're applying with 3, ideally it's better if History is one of them as most of successful applicants to Archaeology/History have good grade in History. And you'll be in a competition against them.
    I don't know which area of country you live, but if you search around, I'm sure some museums, historical sites, etc. sometimes host some lectures/talks on history/archaeology related subjects. Also, there may be some informal study groups on local history you can join. Not all of them may not be exact sort of things you're interested, but you'll learn a lot about their general methodology on how archaeologist/historian work/think.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I'd agree on getting an interview bit, but C in History (the most relevant subject) may cause some concern.
    The A in one module, but D in the other will make them curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My daughter just finished an archaeology degree at Cam. She applied from France, so I do not have advice re grades. She concentrated heavily in the sciences (and didn't do that well in history or literature). Overall, for her bac, she scored very very high, about the top 1%.

There were 2 things that distinguished her, I think. She got seriously into reading about the historical Jesus on her own (1) - not from a religious standpoint - and she worked on several genuine digs (2) over the 3 years in Lycee, so had solid experience that she could write about and discuss. They noticed her stated interest in her UCAS essays and asked her to write an additional one on the Bible and archaeology, about which she had read much on her own.

At interview, they grilled her on the essay and technical methodology until they stumped her, to see how she would think on her feet with questions she hadn't considered. It was a tremendous growth experience for her, just what we had hoped, and the precursor to 3 years of solid academic work that she could not have obtained anywhere else in my opinion.

I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by vincrows)

OP, I think you may need to beef-up your super-curricular as much as you can if you want to improve your chance of successful application.
    Though your Geography and Economics are strong, which is very good, you also have a B in English, so if you're applying with 4 A-subjects, you'll need to improve the grades of both English and History. And if you're applying with 3, ideally it's better if History is one of them as most of successful applicants to Archaeology/History have good grade in History. And you'll be in a competition against them.
    I don't know which area of country you live, but if you search around, I'm sure some museums, historical sites, etc. sometimes host some lectures/talks on history/archaeology related subjects. Also, there may be some informal study groups on local history you can join. Not all of them may not be exact sort of things you're interested, but you'll learn a lot about their general methodology on how archaeologist/historian work/think.
    Thanks for the advice both. My history is in for a remark. I'll be dropping the English and obviously resitting history if it doesnt go up to an A. I'll be doing 3 A levels + welsh bacc so 4 techincally.

I've watched basically every time team lol. I volunteer at the national museum of wales so can find some stuff to do with the iron age village. I've been to lectures at Oxford. I have a few people I could ask for advice on digs and that. When I was a young I did attend an ancient history childrens group for a few months.

I though Cambridge was like 95% Ums over three for an interview?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No, the general guideline is >85. But it varies by course and is only a guideline anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice both. My history is in for a remark. I'll be dropping the English and obviously resitting history if it doesnt go up to an A. I'll be doing 3 A levels + welsh bacc so 4 techincally.

I've watched basically every time team lol. I volunteer at the national museum of wales so can find some stuff to do with the iron age village. I've been to lectures at Oxford. I have a few people I could ask for advice on digs and that. When I was a young I did attend an ancient history childrens group for a few months.

Sounds good! > super-curricular stuff

I actually read arhaeology/history for my degree, but it was in my country I'm originally from and was a loooong time ago. Almost archaeological. And went into a totally unrelated industry after graduated.
    I still love going to museums, watching history-related tv, etc. But Archaeology these days are totally different from archaeology when I was at uni. Much more scientific, thanks to all sorts of technology, esp. digital.

Best of luck with the remark and application to Cambridge & other unis.

ReputationRep:

Okay I didn't get what I originally said. Redid the maths. 86% econ and 93.5 geo
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Okay I didn't get what I originally said. Redid the maths. 86% econ and 93.5 geo
    You are still likely to get an interview.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.