Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)
    Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.

So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Sort out your student bank account and overdraft.

Just what does the £17 have to cover?? All food? Utilities? Books?

If its just food then you can eat for £17 a week, just learn to cook and shop properly.

Breakfast you can do on 30p a day or less. That laves you £2 to make one or two meals, which you cab do by cooking your own stuff.

You arent really going to have much money for booze, unless you get a job, ise your o/d, spend it on booze instead of food, homebrew.

ReputationRep:
    Rice and Potatoes, buy reduced stuff from supermarkets (it usually is good for like another 1-2 days after as well)

ReputationRep:
    damn, no eating out for you

ReputationRep:
    bruh a bottle of smirnoff cost more than your weekly allowance. Not gonna happen.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    Rice and Potatoes, buy reduced stuff from supermarkets (it usually is good for like another 1-2 days after as well)
    If you have Asian supermarkets near you, then I do believe you can buy cheap bags of 1KGs of rice and possibly pasta.

Become Muslim (or Jewish - I'm sure Kosher alcohol is kinda hard to find).

That's the booze sorted. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Well, you could work out the average for all terms, and use a free student overdraft for the first two? Which then gets paid off in the final term... do you get what I mean?

Don't eat out, it's such a waste of money. Go to supermarkets late in the day for reduced price cakes etc. Cheap vodka can probably last you £10 across two weeks. Pasta, rice, fruit - all pretty cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    If you have Asian supermarkets near you, then I do believe you can buy cheap bags of 1KGs of rice and possibly pasta.
    I would just go in and buy a 20kg bag of rice, should last 6 months if not more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.