Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Want it relatively cheap (£300 max) and i just want it to study with really. Any good online sites or recommendations?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    £300 is unfortunately the baseline for laptops nowadays. Unless you buy something old, refurbished, pre owned, etc. you won't get a decent laptop for cheaper. Chromebooks and devices like the HP Stream can be cheaper but they're not really recommended. Ideally you want to be spending at the top end of that £300 budget. As a result this is the only device I can really recommend and I'm personally not a huge fan of it

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...41561-pdt.html

It'll be perfect for what you want though and offers the best performance to price ratio I've seen. There are cheaper laptops that you could buy, saving £50 for 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB but ultimately that'll hurt you in the long run. If you want to go looking for yourself look for 8GB of RAM and an i3 processor. That's the ideal spec for what you want.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really only using it to study and you DON'T need to use special programs (like those needed for computer science, engineering and I'm not sure what else) I would consider getting a chromebook. I'm not sure why the guy above says they're not recommended. A chromebook with 4GB of ram will do any study stuff you want - being online is preferable with one but you can still edit documents offline. It'll also do well for social networking and netflix etc, just not gaming or resource heavy things like photoshop so again, it really depends on your course. I'd look at the Asus C201 (it's on amazon for £180) if you don't mind an 11.6" screen.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.