Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im new here but was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do.

I'm starting sixth form in September (got my GCSE results yesterday) and found out today that due to two of my chosen subjects being in the same 'option block' I cant do the ones I want to do.

I really really want to do Biology, French, History and Psychology, but if i stay at my sixth form I have to choose between Biology and French.
    However, my sixth form won't let us do only 3 subjects, so I would then have to choose another subject to study for two years (that I would not not enjoy and consequently probbaly not do great in).

Or, I could see if i could move sixth form/college to a place that would let me do my chosen subjects.

Do you think its worth leaving my friends a familar place to do what I want to do sonehwere else?

Thank you,
    Katherine

ReputationRep:
    If you honestly really want to do that particular combination of subjects, then maybe it would be worth looking to other sixth forms. However, I would only do this if not doing that one particular subject could be the difference between doing the course you want to do at uni or not.

What do you want to study/do as a career?

Are there any other subjects in other option blocks that would interest you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katherine Rose)
    Hi,

Im new here but was just wondering if anyone had any advice as I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do.

I'm starting sixth form in September (got my GCSE results yesterday) and found out today that due to two of my chosen subjects being in the same 'option block' I cant do the ones I want to do.

I really really want to do Biology, French, History and Psychology, but if i stay at my sixth form I have to choose between Biology and French.
    However, my sixth form won't let us do only 3 subjects, so I would then have to choose another subject to study for two years (that I would not not enjoy and consequently probbaly not do great in).

Or, I could see if i could move sixth form/college to a place that would let me do my chosen subjects.

Do you think its worth leaving my friends a familar place to do what I want to do sonehwere else?

Thank you,
    Katherine
    Firstly, I don't understand why your sixth form makes you do 4, when you only need 3.

Secondly, you might want to consider moving if you can't get your chosen subjects. I've never seen a sixth form not being able to offer French and Bio; perhaps it's due to you picking psychology, but usually, all facilitating subjects can be accommodated together.

ReputationRep:
    Id say do Biology but I'm biased because I want to do it at uni. The languages are much more demanding at A-Level than Bio, hence why I chose not to do Spanish (and ironically chose biology) and I'm glad as it looked too difficult.

It really depends on what you're looking to do at uni. If you're looking more down the essay based route I'd say choose French but if you're looking more sciency (Psychology for example) I'd say choose biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cari98)
    If you honestly really want to do that particular combination of subjects, then maybe it would be worth looking to other sixth forms. However, I would only do this if not doing that one particular subject could be the difference between doing the course you want to do at uni or not.

What do you want to study/do as a career?

Are there any other subjects in other option blocks that would interest you?
    I've calmed down a bit from yesterday and this reply is really helpful.

The thing is, I don't yet know what I want to study at uni, if I'm even going to go, and don't know what I want to do as a career yet (other than the fact that I am very ambitious and don't want to do an office job haha)
    Perhaps due to this I should stay where i am familiar and choose another subject over French (I would choose Biology over French) that would allow me to get into a History, Biology or Psychology course at a good university, as I am very interested in these subjects.

The only reasons I am unusure of this is because I did a lot of research into A-levels when I was choosing my subjects, and found an overwhelmimg response saying that A-levels are very hard, the workload goes up a huge amount, and it is really important to enjoy your subjects else you won't want to revise and therefore probably won't do as well. I aiming for good grades, hopefully A*s, in my A-levels.
    There is no other subject that interests me or I feel I would enjoy. This is partly due to my sixth form only offering a very small range of options. If i were to go to another sixth form or college where Latin was available, I would study that, and would also consider Photography or Creative Writing, even though these aren't as academic.

Whilst I've been thinking about this, something else that has come to my mind is the fact that if I could be accepted by the college in my city, (which is much larger and although has a slight reputation for being non-academic, still offers a lot more courses and would be more recognisable than a little sixth form) I might have a lot more opportunites to work out what it is I want to study and do as a career, and work to get there. As the college is larger, It'll most likely have connections, and will be a change from a sixth form at a school I have already studied at for 5 years.

However, the thought of not studying at the same place as my friends is difficult. I don't want to lose them. Also, I am not sure I am very good at making new friends haha.

Due to it being a Bank Holiday weekend, I have until Tuesday to decide, and have a meeting with the Head on Wednesday.

Thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Firstly, I don't understand why your sixth form makes you do 4, when you only need 3.

Secondly, you might want to consider moving if you can't get your chosen subjects. I've never seen a sixth form not being able to offer French and Bio; perhaps it's due to you picking psychology, but usually, all facilitating subjects can be accommodated together.
    Honestly, I think that the sixth form just wants students who are able to do as many as possible, so that it looks good on their statistics. I think if I push, I could probably get them to allow me to do 3, maybe even take the French exams at school but self teach (or get a tutor) at home throughout the year. This might prove too difficult though, and tutors may be too expensive.

They've given me a list of the option blocks, and unfortunately it is just a coincidence that they are in the same block, and there is only one class of both French and biology. French is actually on a partnership with a sixth form nearby, as they don't offer it here, but the school provides a minbus so it's not too much of a hassle.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Id say do Biology but I'm biased because I want to do it at uni. The languages are much more demanding at A-Level than Bio, hence why I chose not to do Spanish (and ironically chose biology) and I'm glad as it looked too difficult.

It really depends on what you're looking to do at uni. If you're looking more down the essay based route I'd say choose French but if you're looking more sciency (Psychology for example) I'd say choose biology
    Thank you

I would choose Biology over French too as it is something I have been very interested in for a long time, and possibly something I want to study at university.

I just want to do French for the language really, and to become (hopefully) fluent, so I guess it is something I can do at home and dont need a A-level for. I just don't know how I would do this!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.