josephvdbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey TSR, this may sound like a stupid question. But I had my college interview and I am now going to the college which I wanted to. But I could only choose 3 A levels instead of 4. My original plan was to do Graphic Design, Computer Science, Maths and Physics. With the idea that I may go onto to do computer science at University. Or go into a career with art/illustration. Anyway the three I chose was Graphic Design, Computer Science and Maths. For the courses at University they require maths A level and a science, so I was wondering. Does Computer Science count as a science because it just doesn't seem like your traditional sciences for example biology, physics, chemistry.
Guinnie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by josephvdbo)
Hey TSR, this may sound like a stupid question. But I had my college interview and I am now going to the college which I wanted to. But I could only choose 3 A levels instead of 4. My original plan was to do Graphic Design, Computer Science, Maths and Physics. With the idea that I may go onto to do computer science at University. Or go into a career with art/illustration. Anyway the three I chose was Graphic Design, Computer Science and Maths. For the courses at University they require maths A level and a science, so I was wondering. Does Computer Science count as a science because it just doesn't seem like your traditional sciences for example biology, physics, chemistry.
despite having 'science' in its name, Computer Science is generally not considered a science subject, especially by top universities. What constitutes 'science' subjects is generally: Maths, Futher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, basically maths or a natural science.

It may also be worth noting that computer science at A level ins't necessary if you want to study it at uni, physics (or further maths at the top institutions) would definitely be more appropriate. But you should definitely ask your school/college, or take a closer look at university websites because they can provide more detail
josephvdbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Guinnie)
despite having 'science' in its name, Computer Science is generally not considered a science subject, especially by top universities. What constitutes 'science' subjects is generally: Maths, Futher Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, basically maths or a natural science.

It may also be worth noting that computer science at A level ins't necessary if you want to study it at uni, physics (or further maths at the top institutions) would definitely be more appropriate. But you should definitely ask your school/college because they can provide more detail
Thanks Guinnie, that's what I thought. But doing computer science is sort of like a backup plan as my main focus is illustration. And I know computer science isnt necessary at A level, but it seems like a fun A level to do so I am planning on staying with it. However I have been thinking about studying physics A level getting tutored at home if I decide I want to do a degree in computer science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads