The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Accommodation for Insurance place students?

Hi, I am doing this without my son knowing, but can anyone tell me if this is normal proceedure? My son has a place at Newcastle (his insurance)- Good news! We set about doing huge amounts of accommodation research and apply at 1500 on results day. We wait and we wait - we hear friends get their places - we cheer - we wait some more. A week goes by and we call them to be told everyone will hear by Sept 1st. However, I am advised that given the lateness the chances of him getting any of his 6 choices is unlikely. All I can see on this website and the Facebook roomswap page are students looking to swap - many with catered places wanting self-catered? How can this be right ?- we are desperate for a catered place but it seems Newcastle only have one catered hall so we used 4 choices on this one hall. How can student be looking for SC and get catered if the computer is doing its job properly? I am so disillusioned with the whole system? I am sad for him as we do not feel we can relax and celebrate, we are just in limbo - he got ABB in Maths Ecomonics and Chemistry - we haven't even opened a bottle yet to celebrate, until we know where he will be living - we live 5 hours away and don't know the area at all. I feel as though he is being punished for making Newcastle his insurance and not his firm when he was torn for the outset which order to put them in. Now I am wondering if we should suggest he takes a GAP year to guarantee him better crack at the accommodation in 2017. If the policy is to create balanced environments and mixed groups across all halls why allow the roomswap scheme to take place - since that suggests it can just create an imbalance? If the deadline for accepting the place is 14 days after the insurance offer is made - is it fair to leave students waiting to hear about accommodation on or after that deadline? Are there any other students in the same boat? Can anyone put my mind at rest? Many thanks.
Original post by troubledmum
Hi, I am doing this without my son knowing, but can anyone tell me if this is normal proceedure? My son has a place at Newcastle (his insurance)- Good news! We set about doing huge amounts of accommodation research and apply at 1500 on results day. We wait and we wait - we hear friends get their places - we cheer - we wait some more. A week goes by and we call them to be told everyone will hear by Sept 1st. However, I am advised that given the lateness the chances of him getting any of his 6 choices is unlikely. All I can see on this website and the Facebook roomswap page are students looking to swap - many with catered places wanting self-catered? How can this be right ?- we are desperate for a catered place but it seems Newcastle only have one catered hall so we used 4 choices on this one hall. How can student be looking for SC and get catered if the computer is doing its job properly? I am so disillusioned with the whole system? I am sad for him as we do not feel we can relax and celebrate, we are just in limbo - he got ABB in Maths Ecomonics and Chemistry - we haven't even opened a bottle yet to celebrate, until we know where he will be living - we live 5 hours away and don't know the area at all. I feel as though he is being punished for making Newcastle his insurance and not his firm when he was torn for the outset which order to put them in. Now I am wondering if we should suggest he takes a GAP year to guarantee him better crack at the accommodation in 2017. If the policy is to create balanced environments and mixed groups across all halls why allow the roomswap scheme to take place - since that suggests it can just create an imbalance? If the deadline for accepting the place is 14 days after the insurance offer is made - is it fair to leave students waiting to hear about accommodation on or after that deadline? Are there any other students in the same boat? Can anyone put my mind at rest? Many thanks.

Hi,

I spotted your thread and passed your query on to our accommodations team who said:

"If the parent wants to discuss it in more detail then they should contact us on 0191 208 3333, but should do so with the student’s permission as under data protection, we must have his agreement to discuss.
We are processing applications, but unfortunately due to a veryhigh volume of telephone calls with queries, this is stopping us from gettingon. We have a number of applications still to process and will be continuing with this each day until all students are allocated."I hope this will help to put your mind at rest.

Isabella :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

I spotted your thread and passed your query on to our accommodations team who said:

"If the parent wants to discuss it in more detail then they should contact us on 0191 208 3333, but should do so with the student’s permission as under data protection, we must have his agreement to discuss.
We are processing applications, but unfortunately due to a veryhigh volume of telephone calls with queries, this is stopping us from gettingon. We have a number of applications still to process and will be continuing with this each day until all students are allocated."I hope this will help to put your mind at rest.

Isabella :smile:
Thank you Isabella, I will call them as we still haven't heard anything. Its an agonising wait. So thank you for offering some advice.
Reply 3
My daughter got her place through clearing. She applied originally but was offered quite high grades so didn't choose it. We were told she'd hear by end of August, now another email saying 16th September. She feels anxious, unsettled, all her friends know where they are going to. She also now wondering about a gap year.
I do think the deadline for accepting accommodation should be shorter than 2 weeks. Then students wouldn't be left wondering for so long.
Original post by Kentmum
My daughter got her place through clearing. She applied originally but was offered quite high grades so didn't choose it. We were told she'd hear by end of August, now another email saying 16th September. She feels anxious, unsettled, all her friends know where they are going to. She also now wondering about a gap year.
I do think the deadline for accepting accommodation should be shorter than 2 weeks. Then students wouldn't be left wondering for so long.

Hello, We finally had our accommodation through late on Wednesday evening. it took 13 days and we were not offered anything from our 6 choices so all our research had been futile, however, on a positive note I have not spoken to a single person, past student, parent or resident of Newcastle that has a bad word to say about the city and the optimism has risen in our household as a result of this. I am assured by everyone that although some Halls are more popular than others, once they're all there it will be a fun three years and there will be opportunities to move around. The most I have learned from this whole episode is that whatever you do accept the accommodation you are offered as it is far easier to swap or transfer if you are in student accommodation than Air BnB (which was my initial thought). As for a gap year - I have a daughter who is off to Exeter after re-applying, she got AAA but didn't get in first time around! so she decided to take a GY - both my two are starting this September having done it completely differently - But my son just wants education continuation - Good Luck and hope you get offered something soon
Reply 5
Original post by Kentmum

whoops, Sorry, I was signed in as my son! - that post was from me!
Reply 6
Thanks for reply. Where did your son get in the end? I hope my daughter will go, she's very sociable and I think she'll have a good time anywhere. She doesn't really want an unscheduled gap year. She just feels she can't pack or plan until she knows. I also need to book a hotel as we are in Kent, long drive! Hopefully her forthcoming trip to Bestival will take her mind off it!
Reply 7
Original post by Kentmum
Thanks for reply. Where did your son get in the end? I hope my daughter will go, she's very sociable and I think she'll have a good time anywhere. She doesn't really want an unscheduled gap year. She just feels she can't pack or plan until she knows. I also need to book a hotel as we are in Kent, long drive! Hopefully her forthcoming trip to Bestival will take her mind off it!

He got a room in Victoria Halls - its not Newcastle University owned but it does look quite nice - he wanted Castle Leaze catered - he has been at a boarding school for the last five years - most of his school friends that go to Newcastle end up in Castle Leaze - he will have to learn to cook - which will be a huge learning curve and get himself around the campus -but it will be good for him after his 'bubble' - I agree its the not knowing thats the worst bit - once they get something - even if its not what they want - one can start to make some plans and obviously - the sooner that happens the more time you have to get organised! Do let me know when you're sorted - I hope to not too long now - I did chase them twice and they were very helpful on both occasions
Reply 8
She got offered Windsor Terrace. I think this is pretty good as not too expensive and on campus but she's afraid it wont be very sociable. I think she will just have to get on with it. I cant see her being far away from the party action!
Reply 9
Original post by Kentmum
She got offered Windsor Terrace. I think this is pretty good as not too expensive and on campus but she's afraid it wont be very sociable. I think she will just have to get on with it. I cant see her being far away from the party action!

Hey Thats Brilliant - at last! I think its a great location - I've heard that in their second year everyone gravitates to the Jesmond area. Windsor terrace is very close to that area and at least its a recognised hall - ed's Victoria Hall isn't even on the map - although its on Byron street near Barker House. Its not on any of the University accommodation info sheets nor the NUSU website for making friends in halls - so I would say you are onto a winner!

Best of Luck to your daughter and who knows maybe they will run into each other - Ed is doing Economics and Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending