AS Level tips

Watch this thread
lucy.wright
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yesterday I received my GCSE results and was very happy with what I got. I got 1B, 9A and 1A* which means I was accepted into my sixth form of choice. I intend to study English literature, Spanish, maths, biology and general studies. I really want to do well in my AS/A Levels so are there any tips I should know about?
) X
Hollyht
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Hey I just finished my alevels my main tips would be-
Get your exam boards main text book for each subject
Use and know your specification inside out just look up for example OCR biology specification (or whatever exam board you're doing) and make sure you learn about every single point
Do past papers and learn mark schemes then you will understand the kind of answers your exam board look for and if a similar question comes up again you will know the answer
Stay after school to revise if you have a study room or library stay there 1-2 hours each day get some revision done then go home and chill for the rest of the evening you will always be far more focused at school and get studying out the way even from the start of the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hollyht
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey I just finished my alevels my main tips would be-
Get your exam boards main text book for each subject
Use and know your specification inside out just look up for example OCR biology specification (or whatever exam board you're doing) and make sure you learn about every single point
Do past papers and learn mark schemes then you will understand the kind of answers your exam board look for and if a similar question comes up again you will know the answer
Stay after school to revise if you have a study room or library stay there 1-2 hours each day get some revision done then go home and chill for the rest of the evening you will always be far more focused at school and get studying out the way even from the start of the year

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatima1998
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
my first tip!
LEAVE PROCRASTINATION ALONE - do not shake hand :noway:
start revising from the first-day
be organised throughout the year
:goodluck:
username2624347
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
revise everyday even if it's just for 10 mins
ArtemisMCR
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Don't waste free periods, use school resources and read around the subjects, read the examiners reports on past papers (the people marking your final exam basically saying everything they want to see, why waste that), past papers, ask for help if you need it. Trust me it will fly bye work hard, wish you luck with your choices well done with your GCSEs!
Jitesh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
best tip is don't waste frees
As much as it seems cool having a 2hr lunch, at least use 75% of your frees for studying!!
I wish I had done that from the start!
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Start revising as soon as your lessons start. It doesn't have to be long- it can literally be 30 mins- 45 mins but just go over topics and memorise. If you do this, you can at least move onto past papers faster.
JordanClarkevii
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
how did you find A Level Chemistry and would you recommend it?
chloemanuel63
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JordanClarkevii)
Ahahaha where do I begin with A-Level Chemistry... Well that was my C grade, four marks away from a B. It's just not the subject for me.

GCSE Chemistry is a big fat lie. Aside from the outright mistruths you are taught, you're also used to a lot of fact-learning. A-Level is 90% application and 10% fact learning.

Unless you really genuinely enjoy Chemistry then I wouldn't recommend it. For Chemical Engineering, Medicine, Vet and Dentistry applicants, this is a MUST. If you aren't planning on directly using or needing Chemistry in the future then honestly it is not worth the stress.

What was your GCSE grade? I got an A* in all three units at GCSE and got a C at AS ahaha good times. Really consider this one the most - my friends all agree that Chemistry and Physics are harder than Maths - and as I said before, subject choice really is the most important thing going.
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JordanClarkevii)
Oh my.....A level Chemistry, where to begin. (The one subject which screwed me up in A2 was undoubtedly chemistry. Managed to get a B in it when I needed an A.)

You start the year finding out that everything you've learn thus far in Chemistry had been a complete lie.

And then they bring in some crap that doesn't even make sense. A lot of AS was memory work if I'm being completely honest.

Personally, I would say it is the hardest A level I've done (My others were Maths, German and Biology) but that being said, once you get your head around the stuff, it can get pretty do-able.

Best of Luck in your AS levels Use these two years wisely because they go by so so quickly!
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I made a thread dedicated to this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4197729
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed