The Student Room Group

What courses would be suitable for me at uni?

I'm only just starting my A-levels, which are maths, physics, English lit and ICT. What sort of uni course can I go on to do with these subjects? There are so many courses available, that I honestly don't know where to start looking.
If I were to do a course in maths/physics, what sort of career could that lead to? Or could I maybe go down the English route instead?

Any sort of suggestions will be very welcome!

(also, not sure if I've posted this in the right place)
Reply 1
I think you're thinking about this from the wrong side of things and we definitely can't tell you what course you should do from your A-levels. You need to pick something that you want to study and that you will enjoy - we can't decide that from which A-Levels you are doing.

EDIT: I'd recommend picking up a few prospectuses from different unis, speaking to careers advisers/teachers at school and reading up about various courses and go from there. See what sounds interesting to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haphazardsoph
I'm only just starting my A-levels, which are maths, physics, English lit and ICT. What sort of uni course can I go on to do with these subjects? There are so many courses available, that I honestly don't know where to start looking.
If I were to do a course in maths/physics, what sort of career could that lead to? Or could I maybe go down the English route instead?

Any sort of suggestions will be very welcome!

(also, not sure if I've posted this in the right place)

In theory, as long as you have the grades, you can do pretty much anything that doesn't require specific subjects with those options.
You need to narrow it down based on what you like and are interested in, not based on the subjects you are taking.
Reply 3
Look on Which University?.com at English/Physics courses and see if Althing takes your fancy.

I was looking at Natural Science when I came across Biomed so you might find something random which you like the look of
Computing, law, economics, computer science, physics, maths
Original post by Dewsy
I think you're thinking about this from the wrong side of things and we definitely can't tell you what course you should do from your A-levels. You need to pick something that you want to study and that you will enjoy - we can't decide that from which A-Levels you are doing.

EDIT: I'd recommend picking up a few prospectuses from different unis, speaking to careers advisers/teachers at school and reading up about various courses and go from there. See what sounds interesting to you.

Fair enough, but honestly the subjects I'm doing are what I'm interested in and enjoy! Just looking for a few suggestions based on that, not really sure how to elaborate from that, to be honest.
Thanks for the advice!
Thanks for the advice!
The subjects I'm taking are what I'm most interested in, as I like both science/maths and more creative subjects, which makes choosing a path a bit tricky! Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest