The Student Room Group

What should I take for my fourth A-level?

I am picking my A-levels for sixth form, and am stuck between two subjects as to what to take for my fourth A-level.

I would like to study Computer Science at University, ideally Oxford.

I have decided on taking Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science, but am stuck on deciding between English Literature and Physics.

I enjoy both subjects a lot, but I was wondering which would be most fitting for me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by some-student
I am picking my A-levels for sixth form, and am stuck between two subjects as to what to take for my fourth A-level.

I have decided on taking Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science, but am stuck on deciding between English Literature and Physics.

I enjoy both subjects a lot, but I was wondering which would be most fitting for me.

Are you sure Oxford do CS?
Reply 2
Definitely physics. Even though it's harder it compliments the other subjects perfectly. Actually it may be easier to you if you're also doing maths, further maths and computer science. However if you want to keep your options opened more then maybe English is better.
Pick the one you would enjoy the most.

Physics, rather obviously.
Physics would compliment your other subjects well, although since English Lit is an essay-based subject, it may make you appear more 'well-rounded', which universities like. Both subjects are well-respected and have different benefits, so pick the one you think you'd enjoy more/do better in :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Physics, rather obviously.

Original post by Joe AF
Definitely physics. Even though it's harder it compliments the other subjects perfectly. Actually it may be easier to you if you're also doing maths, further maths and computer science. However if you want to keep your options opened more then maybe English is better.

Ok, thank you all very much. I was leaning towards physics anyway and this is very useful insight :smile:
Original post by edothero
Please think before you post:
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/

Isn't it disrespectful that they are not on the rankings ... yeah and the same to you.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Physics would compliment your other subjects well, although since English Lit is an essay-based subject, it may make you appear more 'well-rounded', which universities like. Both subjects are well-respected and have different benefits, so pick the one you think you'd enjoy more/do better in :smile:

I will consider that too; thank you :smile:
Do physics

Do Physics
Reply 13
Honestly, unless you are going to continue to do 4 subjects in yr13 then I would suggest that stuicking to 3 subjects is best. I studied 4 subjects for AS and i'm dropping one of them ( Chemistry) this year and I feel now that I have wasted my year. That's just my opinion but whatever you do good luck to you !
Reply 14
Original post by +++++
Honestly, unless you are going to continue to do 4 subjects in yr13 then I would suggest that stuicking to 3 subjects is best. I studied 4 subjects for AS and i'm dropping one of them ( Chemistry) this year and I feel now that I have wasted my year. That's just my opinion but whatever you do good luck to you !

As much as I'd like to agree with this (I'm also going in yr13 dropping chemistry), some universities will ask for 4 AS levels as part of their requirement. Check with the ones you plan on applying to, to see if this is the case :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Isn't it disrespectful that they are not on the rankings ... yeah and the same to you.

I don't see how it would be disrespectful? It's not same to him, you should think before you post and make your self look like an ass.
Reply 16
I know a guy who wanted to study medicine at Oxford and did biology, chemistry, physics and English lit for A-level and got accepted because he showed creativity by doing English. Universities like students showing something new and different, so I would go with English.

Also if it helps, at AS I did maths, physics, history and English lit/lang, and the change between science and arts was refreshing.
Thank you very much everyone for your responses.

Although I am leaning towards physics, would taking English Literature (or maybe even German) A-level at all hinder my chances of getting an offer to study Computer Science from Oxford, or similar universities?

Thanks very much :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you very much everyone for your responses.

Although I am leaning towards physics, would taking English Literature (or maybe even German) A-level at all hinder my chances of getting an offer to study Computer Science from Oxford, or similar universities?

Thanks very much :smile:

No, by default universities take your three best grades into account when making the decision.

As far as I'm concerned, picking English over Physics wouldn't hurt. Especially if your desire to study Physics is low.

Take it like this; it's better you get an A in English lit than it is you get a C in Physics.

For your fourth subject pick something you enjoy and are good at. Don't force yourself to take something you don't want to study; only to open the envelope on results day to see you've ended up with AAAC-AAAD etc.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by edothero
No, by default universities take your three best grades into account when making the decision.

As far as I'm concerned, picking English over Physics wouldn't hurt. Especially if your desire to study Physics is low.

Take it like this; it's better you get an A in English lit than it is you get a C in Physics.

For your fourth subject pick something you enjoy and are good at. Don't force yourself to take something you don't want to study; only to open the envelope on results day to see you've ended up with AAAC-AAAD etc.

Good luck

Thank you very much for this :smile: It has been really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest