The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We think colleges listen to their students.

An opportunity arose to refit/refurbish the loos and our DB (domestic bursar) decided to act on the JCR (junior common room) suggestion.

Oxford doesn't have a lavatory policy as such - its something for the individual colleges to work out with their UGs and PGs.

Great progress! Your posting made me think about it and realise that pretty much all the toilets in Univ are gender neutral. I think it must be because they're mainly individual ones dotted around the quads and buildings.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lucilou101
Great progress! Your posting made me think about it and realise that pretty much all the toilets in Univ are gender neutral. I think it must be because they're mainly individual ones dotted around the quads and buildings.

Hello! We've missed you on TSR.

That's right - there are facilities on each staircase. These are more 'public' toilets - there are traditional m/f ones and gender neutral ones now.
With the application deadline ever approaching, it is time to get that personal statement in check. Unfortunately, I've had to delay my writing process since I've had to study for my final exams. (International applicant) Now that I'm done with them, I'm fully concentrated on studying for the TSA and writing my PS.

Just wanted to ask some questions to gauge my situation in comparison with other prospective applicants.
How many of you are already done with the PS? Do I still have ample time to get a great PS together? How much time have you others used to write your statements?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello! We've missed you on TSR.

That's right - there are facilities on each staircase. These are more 'public' toilets - there are traditional m/f ones and gender neutral ones now.

Howdy! It's good to be back, it's been quite a while!

That makes sense, still a very good move! Univ doesn't really have a set of public toilets in the same manner, although perhaps they should invest in some!
Original post by tuukkathegeek
With the application deadline ever approaching, it is time to get that personal statement in check. Unfortunately, I've had to delay my writing process since I've had to study for my final exams. (International applicant) Now that I'm done with them, I'm fully concentrated on studying for the TSA and writing my PS.

Just wanted to ask some questions to gauge my situation in comparison with other prospective applicants.
How many of you are already done with the PS? Do I still have ample time to get a great PS together? How much time have you others used to write your statements?

I’m in the process of emailing mine to loads of teachers and basically doing final edits. I think you definitely have time to make it fantastic, the deadline is still 3ish weeks away so I wouldn’t worry! I’m applying post A-Level (currently on my gap year) so I’ve had a bit of extra time to dissect my old PS and update it with new books, new ideas etc. I think you definitely have time!
Original post by tuukkathegeek

Oxford does not care very much about your personal statement; do not worry about it. You have plenty of time.
Original post by periodicity
Oxford does not care very much about your personal statement; do not worry about it. You have plenty of time.

I think they do have plenty of time but why would oxford not care about PS?

A lot of applicants have stellar grades (which could be exactly the same as you) and an interesting personal statement would definitely aid chances of interview and a potential offer?

An average personal statement is a disadvantage - of course not an indicator of the entire application but you can not deny it does play a vital factor along side academic achievement, interview and admission tests...
Original post by wantodothebest
I think they do have plenty of time but why would oxford not care about PS?

A lot of applicants have stellar grades (which could be exactly the same as you) and an interesting personal statement would definitely aid chances of interview and a potential offer?

An average personal statement is a disadvantage - of course not an indicator of the entire application but you can not deny it does play a vital factor along side academic achievement, interview and admission tests...

Firstly, some could argue personal statements are not very fair since anyone could write it and some students will get far more help with it than others.

Secondly, Oxford has far more useful information about a student than their personal statement. Interview being top of the list, then admission tests/grades and only then the personal statement. If someone has a poor P.S but a stellar interview, there is no doubt a tutor will take them in my opinion. If it's the other way round, they will not get in.

I should add that it is probably a little bit more important for the humanities - obviously if you cannot string a sentence together, a tutor is not going to accept you. But anyone who is qualified is going to be able to create an OK personal statement anyway.

My tutors have told me repeatedly that they at most skim over the personal statement (some will not even read). I remember getting told this by tutors from other subjects as well who spoke to me when I applied. Students write good personal statements for other universities, not oxbridge.

I think all in all personal statements can only hinder you, if it's passable/good/great that is fine, only if it's really really bad that could be a hindrance. So I disagree with you that an average personal statement is a disadvantage.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys ! I am actually a French student so as an international student it's difficult to understand the steps I have to do to apply in UK but I'm okay now with that stuff. I will apply for Oxford only and if they don't select me then I will tidy here in Paris. Hope I will have chance :wink:
Firstly, some could argue personal statements are not very fair since anyone could write it and some students will get more far more help with it than others.

Secondly, Oxford has far more useful information about a student than their personal statement. Interview being top of the list, then admission tests/grades and only then the personal statement. If someone has a poor P.S but a stellar interview, there is no doubt a tutor will take them in my opinion. If it's the other way round, they will not get in.

I should add that it is probably a little bit more important for the humanities - obviously if you cannot string a sentence together, a tutor is not going to accept you. But anyone who is qualified is going to be able to create an OK personal statement anyway.

My tutors have told me repeatedly that they at most skim over the personal statement (some will not even read). I remember getting told this by tutors from other subjects as well who spoke to me when I applied. Students write good personal statements for other universities, not oxbridge.

I think all in all personal statements can only hinder you, if it's passable/good/great that is fine, only if it's really really bad that could be a hindrance. So I disagree with you that an average personal statement is a disadvantage.

This is the message I got when I was at the open days. The personal statement is the most subjective source of information they have so its importance is much lower compared to aptitude tests, for example.

Other unis that don't use alternate sources of information will have to rely more on the personal statement and will assess it accordingly.
Firstly, some could argue personal statements are not very fair since anyone could write it and some students will get far more help with it than others.

That's true, I forgot to consider those who would have an advantage writing it over others.

Nevertheless, I think subjects like Law and Medicine do have to focus on personal statement BEFORE and DURING interview. You need to show you are not only smart enough and can perform well in interviews (which you can certainly prepare for and some students will pay for coaching...) but have a passion and standout. Being great isn't good enough. You need to beEXCEPTIONAL for Oxbridge seeing as they are the top universities in the WORLD for many league tables.

Someone who has lots of work experience that they talk about in depth about what they have gained from it is a better candidate than someone who just lists their achievements and strings together a statement.

Thoughts?

Someone who has lots of work experience that they talk about in depth about what they have gained from it is a better candidate than someone who just lists their achievements and strings together a statement. Thoughts?

The point remains true that at interview, any work experience won't be considered as necessarily showing superior commitment or interest compared to - say - additional reading or watching TED talks on YouTube. As the previous poster indicated, Oxford consciously tries to eliminate selection criteria which unfairly favour people who have been lucky, or rich, or privileged enough to gain multiple placements at their Dad's chambers, laboratory or practice.

Doing such placements can expand one's broader understanding of the subject, of course and mean that you may have encountered aspects of the subject that wouldn't turn up otherwise. That may help when you are faced with a question that isn't covered in a school syllabus. But interviewers for Oxford do not ask typical job interview questions like, "What were your duties at placement X?" or "What skills did you learn when you were a volunteer at Y?"

More generally, especially for subjects without an admissions test (like Biological Sciences), I would say that a good PS can help. Placements or volunteer experience can be good hooks on which to hang a couple of telling sentences about what excites your interest in the subject. But making reference to a particular book or research paper, or TV programme can do the same.
Nevertheless, I think subjects like Law and Medicine do have to focus on personal statement BEFORE and DURING interview.

No not really tbh.

Lets look at medicine as in this subject the PS is unquestionably hugely important at other unis. Pre-interview, Oxford has a quite explicit algorithm which is almost entirely GCSE/BMAT, with some limited scope for adjustment for a handful of candidates only. Then at interview it will be more variable of course but my experience is that it is used to start a conversation only, sometimes just to make you feel more comfortable. My head tutor was actually very damning of the PS, saying its very good at telling you about the teachers and parents, but tells you nothing about he candidate. This seems to be in line with most people's experience.

A few years ago the head of Cambridge admissions got himself into trouble by revealing they are often discarded (officially he had to back-track, of course).

Obviously you should write the best PS you can, but i wold not specifically tailor it to Oxford. Especially in medicine.
Original post by khaolaifi
Hi guys ! I am actually a French student so as an international student it's difficult to understand the steps I have to do to apply in UK but I'm okay now with that stuff. I will apply for Oxford only and if they don't select me then I will tidy here in Paris. Hope I will have chance :wink:

What are you applying for? Good luck!
That's true, I forgot to consider those who would have an advantage writing it over others.

Nevertheless, I think subjects like Law and Medicine do have to focus on personal statement BEFORE and DURING interview. You need to show you are not only smart enough and can perform well in interviews (which you can certainly prepare for and some students will pay for coaching...) but have a passion and standout. Being great isn't good enough. You need to beEXCEPTIONAL for Oxbridge seeing as they are the top universities in the WORLD for many league tables.

Someone who has lots of work experience that they talk about in depth about what they have gained from it is a better candidate than someone who just lists their achievements and strings together a statement.

Thoughts?

As discussed by a couple of posters above, to discern candidates the admissions tests really come into play. Where there is no admission test, that is an indication that admission tutors can discern candidates well enough based on grades (e.g Biology). For example, my subject (Chemistry) recently introduced an admissions test since more applicants were applying and it was becomingly increasingly hard to select candidates for interview (despite everyone having a wide range of personal statements and grades).

I've read my personal statement back and I hate it. In fact, my tutor once started a tutorial mocking me about it!

I'd also like to mention that you'd be surprised how similar personal statements are... they've seen most of it before.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got 8A*'s and 3A's for my iGCSEs
For A Levels I got 2A*'s and 2A's.

Am planning to take a gap year as I was born in 2000 and am too young to enter most universities.

Do you think Oxford will accept me for medicine?

Also, would anyone like to help give advice on my personal statement?

Thank you!
What grades did I get at GCSE? 8A*s 2As
What am I taking for A level? - Maths chemistry and physics predicted (A*A*A)
What course do I want to do? - Earth science (Geology) at Oxford
Any extra circular activities? - Hockey for Wales and football. Like to climb mountains and just be outdoors
Oxford or Cambridge? - Oxford because Cambridge only offer earth science as part of their natural science degree
Hi, I'm not applying to Oxford - but my best friend is. He wants to apply for Chemistry (didn't like NatSci at Cambridge) and has stellar GCSEs and AS grades (A^, 11A*s & A at GCSE, 4As at AS (97,97,100) in Maths) he's predicted A* A* A in Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science respectively. He should perform well in the TSA I (although his common sense isn't great). My worry is that he finds it very hard to show passion about anything :/ Will he still have a chance at getting in?

A side note: He also plays Crown Green Bowling at a high level - & no he isn't Autistic.
Original post by ImprobableCacti
Hi, I'm not applying to Oxford - but my best friend is. He wants to apply for Chemistry (didn't like NatSci at Cambridge) and has stellar GCSEs and AS grades (A^, 11A*s & A at GCSE, 4As at AS (97,97,100) in Maths) he's predicted A* A* A in Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science respectively. He should perform well in the TSA I (although his common sense isn't great). My worry is that he finds it very hard to show passion about anything :/ Will he still have a chance at getting in?

A side note: He also plays Crown Green Bowling at a high level - & no he isn't Autistic.

It's hard to show passion, especially in Chemistry, which does not have the wealth of popular science books that Physics/Biology possess. The Chemistry interviews are based on problem solving, not proving your interest. A level Chemistry is quite different from degree level Chemistry, so it's difficult to get a sense of a student's interest anyway. Tutors will like that he is good at maths. He definitely has a good chance IMO.
It's hard to show passion, especially in Chemistry, which does not have the wealth of popular science books that Physics/Biology possess. The Chemistry interviews are based on problem solving, not proving your interest. A level Chemistry is quite different from degree level Chemistry, so it's difficult to get a sense of a student's interest anyway. Tutors will like that he is good at maths. He definitely has a good chance IMO.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

He also has a few issues with his imagination - he finds it quite difficult to visualise molecules, etc., in his head - would this prove a problem in such an intense Chemistry degree?

Latest

Trending

Trending