The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody sitting the TSA know how to assess their essay?
Reply 2001
Original post by H3n
I applied to Brasenose and am basically revising from college work and doing the past papers. They’re ****in hard though. What are you predicted and how are you revising?

I'm actually on a gap year so already have my grades, but I did IB. I got 42 with 776 at higher in Physics, Chem and Maths. What about you?
I've done most of the past papers now and am trying Physics Olympiad or maths challenge papers. Do you have any other good resources?
Original post by rosie.mn
Just did another HAT paper, I got 75 (and took 5 marks off incase I was being over generous) so technically got 70. I seem to be averaging around 70 with my own marking, but it's all about performance on the day and I'm worried we will get such a hard question that I can't even answer it.

That's what's happening to me. The essay either makes or breaks my question. My history teacher is marking mine And on a good essay q my highest has been 77 but it varies from around 70 to there
Reply 2003
Original post by t.aa
I'm actually on a gap year so already have my grades, but I did IB. I got 42 with 776 at higher in Physics, Chem and Maths. What about you?
I've done most of the past papers now and am trying Physics Olympiad or maths challenge papers. Do you have any other good resources?

I’m on a gap year too. Nah I only really know about past papers and physics Olympiad for resources. what kind of % are you getting on past papers atm? Also what are you grades equivalent to at a level?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2004
Original post by H3n
I’m on a gap year too. Nah I only really know about past papers and physics Olympiad for resources. what kind of % are you getting on past papers atm? Also what are you grades equivalent to at a level?

It's kind of difficult to compare; UCAS tariff points say 40 points is 4 A*s, (idk exactly what 42 is) but then unis will often give offers in terms of higher level grades as well as total points e.g. 776 when they ask for A*A*A.
How did your A levels go?
Tbh I haven't really marked my papers properly as for small mistakes I don't know how ECF works in the PAT, but roughly doing fairly well I think???
Reply 2005
Original post by t.aa
It's kind of difficult to compare; UCAS tariff points say 40 points is 4 A*s, (idk exactly what 42 is) but then unis will often give offers in terms of higher level grades as well as total points e.g. 776 when they ask for A*A*A.
How did your A levels go?
Tbh I haven't really marked my papers properly as for small mistakes I don't know how ECF works in the PAT, but roughly doing fairly well I think???

I got A*AA (with extenuating circumstances). I seem to be getting around 50-60% at the moment. I find that some of the questions are quite poorly written though so it’s hard to know what they’re actually asking.
Reply 2006
Original post by H3n
I got A*AA (with extenuating circumstances). I seem to be getting around 50-60% at the moment. I find that some of the questions are quite poorly written though so it’s hard to know what they’re actually asking.

Nice! I know what you mean. Where else are you applying by the way?
Reply 2007
Durham, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham. Apart from an interview at Manchester I haven’t had any offers/rejections from any of them. I think Bristol is my second choice. Wbu?
Yeah I second that some of the past PAT questions seem to be poorly worded. Marking harshly is a must though because you can't make any assumptions. Trust me, what seems like "oh a few marks here" and a "few marks there" very very quickly adds up. I felt I had done well yesterday and it was one of my best papers, but I still only got mid 70s and that's scary given how few questions I feel I got wrong.

I'm pretty frustrated I must admit; they have questions that are easy to slip up on because they're more technical than tricky, and the lack of official mark-schemes (and general help) means that whenever I can't see how I got something wrong I don't know how to learn from it.
Reply 2009
Original post by H3n
Durham, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham. Apart from an interview at Manchester I haven’t had any offers/rejections from any of them. I think Bristol is my second choice. Wbu?

I just got an offer from Bristol (also PhysPhil) but apart from Oxford I haven't applied anywhere else. Going to though! Maybe St Andrews, UCL, Edinburgh or Kings. Possibly Imperial for Physics but my PS has a fair bit of philosophy in so I don't know how that would go down. Have you looked at the Kings course? I'm not sure what to think about it.
Are all your other choices joint honours?
Hi everyone! I'm an international applicant (Indian)
I applied to Oxford as an open applicant
I got allocated to St. Catherine's today
That moment when your answers to Q3 and sometimes 1b in HAT ARE RIGHT BUT NOT ON THE MARKSCHEME :frown:
I made an open application and I just received an email telling me my application has been sent to Hertford College, which I stayed at for a week during a summer school and thought was cool. Hoping I'll get an interview. :yy:
Hi all -

Applying to medicine at St Johns - waiting to take the BMAT exam.
10 A*s 1 B at GCSE (at a comprehensive school of average performance). 1 B in a short-course GCSE taken in a later series. Level 1 and 2 BTEC in Braille. National team member for disability gymnastics.

Extenuating circumstances meaning A-Levels taken over three years (each subject only over two years, just staggered the starting dates).
4 AS grade A's (chem, bio, maths, psych) and 2 A2 grade A*s (chem, maths) achieved.
1 AS grade A (further maths) and 2 A2 grade A*s (bio, psych) predicted.
Lots of volunteering/campaigning for major charities but lacking specific medical work experience (only did a short amount).

T :smile:
Hello,
I sent an open application, and now got an email from oxford saying that I have been allocated to trinity for materials science.
So, how is the competition for materials science at trinity?
Thanks
Original post by macmilin
Hi everyone! I'm an international applicant (Indian)
I applied to Oxford as an open applicant
I got allocated to St. Catherine's today

I too am indian. By the way which course did you apply to, and what are your qualifications
Heya,
Gap year applicant, applying for Medicine,
Just been allocated to Oriel.

Any other Oriel Medicine applicants here?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2017
Original post by t.aa
I just got an offer from Bristol (also PhysPhil) but apart from Oxford I haven't applied anywhere else. Going to though! Maybe St Andrews, UCL, Edinburgh or Kings. Possibly Imperial for Physics but my PS has a fair bit of philosophy in so I don't know how that would go down. Have you looked at the Kings course? I'm not sure what to think about it.
Are all your other choices joint honours?

My personal statement was very light on philosophy (regretting that now). I did think about imperial and UCL, but the courses didn’t really appeal to me because they were heavily analytical I thought and I preferred the idea of a mixture of physics and philosophy. I didn’t look at KCL because I wasn’t keen on university in London (very expensive). I did consider St. Andrews but tbh I couldn’t see myself going that far north. All my courses are joint honours bar Manchester.
when was your Bristol offer? Hopefully I should hear from Bristol soon then lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cpocha1
I too am indian. By the way which course did you apply to, and what are your qualifications

I applied for Computer Science

Currently I’m on a gap year.
I wrote CBSE this year and got :
English - 92
Physics - 97
Chemistry - 97
Math - 95
Computer science - 97

Overall 95.6%
Original post by macmilin
I applied for Computer Science

Currently I’m on a gap year.