The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ryhhill181998
I'm definitely still going to apply, I'm just unsure where I'd want to go if I got offers from everywhere. And same! It's so different to everything we've prepared for haha

Where are you thinking of applying (UK and US - besides Oxford haha)?

I took my SAT in May and it was in this London basement. Everyone was so intense. More stressy than the kids at my school before a FMaths exam.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Where are you thinking of applying (UK and US - besides Oxford haha)?

I took my SAT in May and it was in this London basement. Everyone was so intense. More stressy than the kids at my school before a FMaths exam.

I was certainly more stressed out during the ACT and SAT than during my A levels haha I'm undecided between Oxford and Cambridge at the moment - I haven't really researched any other UK institutions - and I think Harvard will be my first choice in the US; I'll apply early action there. How about you?
Original post by Ryhhill181998
I was certainly more stressed out during the ACT and SAT than during my A levels haha I'm undecided between Oxford and Cambridge at the moment - I haven't really researched any other UK institutions - and I think Harvard will be my first choice in the US; I'll apply early action there. How about you?

I'm a bit concerned about declaring UMS for Cambridge, so I guess I've chosen Oxford (which also has a poetry society!). LSE, Kings/Durham, UCL and maybe Bristol/Exeter as a safety (for Law). If I don't get in to any of them, I guess I'll reapply for English/a STEM degree.

I'll be applying SCEA to either Harvard or Princeton; Columbia and Yale (and maybe Amherst) RD. Harvard's the dream! My SAT is a bit low, but oh well. Also, the emphasis on extracurriculars lol.
Reply 583
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Ah, I was thinking about Physics; but my school recommends that we start revising around christmas two years before entry, for the PAT (i.e christmas 2016, for 2018 entry), so I gave up lol.

I think chemistry is less harsh/not so crazily competitive with entrance exams - if it makes any difference.

Just saying, this is straight up terrible advice from your school and you absolutely shouldn't let that be the thing that puts you off if you want to do physics. Be a bit careful with school advice in general - I'm not saying they're always wrong, and obviously it'll vary by school and teacher, but personally a lot of what I found was that they had absolutely no idea what the applications process was actually like and what was important (particularly for science subjects).

From my experience (and the experiences of others here), it's not worth starting PAT revision at all until you finish your first year of A levels (or equivalent) - i.e. the summer before you apply/a few months before you sit the PAT - otherwise you just have to teach yourself even more stuff completely unnecessarily.
Hey, I'm Lauren :smile:
What did you get at GCSE?
7 A*'s, 4 A's and 1 B - I'm a bit concerned these aren't strong enough!
What A levels are you studying?
Maths, English Lit and Art
What course will you be applying for?
Law or English
What extra-curricular activities do you do?
Play tennis/ do art
Any colleges you're interested in? And why?
I'm not sure yet, I haven't looked too much into it
Why Oxford and not Cambridge?
I have always heard about/ seen photos of Oxford since I was little and it has always been my aspiration to go there. It really inspired me, funnily enough, when I watched 'The Theory of Everything' (my fave film ever) for the first time. I thought the actual look of the university was incredible - it obviously helps that it's one of the best in the world!
(edited 6 years ago)
Its getting close to the end of the academic year. Today's beautifully sunny and the JCR garden party is taking place outside our office window in New Quad. Most first years still have some exams to take next week and after that we will be welcoming visitors to the two Open days on June 28th and 29th.

While it's sad to be saying goodbye to leavers (although ex-students do stay in touch), its also an opportunity for reflection. One of our leavers, Jess, looks back on her three years at Brasenose studying English Literature on our news page:

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1796-student-blog-jess-ward-on-brasenose

Jess was a prospective North East student fresh from As levels not that long ago and has seen other Open Day visitors she gave tours to join Brasenose, also helping out at December interviews and at school visits that take place throughout the year.

If you can, do try and make it to one of the University Open Days - this could be the start of your Oxford journey, as it was for Jess.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/open-days?wssl=1

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days
(edited 6 years ago)
Hellooooo, I'm Sophie! :smile:
GCSE results - 10 A*s and 1 A (the A being music)
A Levels - French, Spanish, History & Biology. No AS.
Course - French & Spanish
Extracurricular activities - musical theatre, piano, cycling and athletics.
Colleges of interest - LMH
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? - closer to home, easier to access, plus I know the city better than Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sophievh
Hellooooo, I'm Sophie! :smile:
GCSE results - 10 A*s and 1 A (the A being music)
A Levels - French, Spanish, History & Biology. No AS.
Course - French & Spanish
Extracurricular activities - musical theatre, piano, cycling and athletics.
Colleges of interest - right now, it's Worcester, due to the accommodation, grounds, etc. It was originally Balliol but they don't offer my language combination. :frown:
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? - closer to home, easier to access, plus I know the city better than Cambridge.

Nice college choice :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Nice college choice :colone:

bias :tongue:
How important are GCSE's for Oxford? I have read on TSR that they are extremely important and that Oxford calculates points using GCSE's? But I have heard contrasting advice in real life from a student representative from Oxford, and my careers advisor?

I dont have bad GCSEs but I only have 1 A* (thats in the subject I want to study at uni).
Original post by auburnstar
bias :tongue:

:angel:

Original post by SuperHuman98
How important are GCSE's for Oxford? I have read on TSR that they are extremely important and that Oxford calculates points using GCSE's? But I have heard contrasting advice in real life from a student representative from Oxford, and my careers advisor?

I dont have bad GCSEs but I only have 1 A* (thats in the subject I want to study at uni).

To my knowledge, the only subject a high A* rate for GCSE is crucial for is medicine. So it depends what you're applying for! I think for most other Oxford courses, GCSEs are looked holistically alongside other things like pre-interview admissions tests, etc. It's also important to note that your GCSE results will be seen in the context of your school's general GCSE performance - so if you went to a school were getting 1 A* puts you at the top of your year group, that will be known to the admissions people. @BrasenoseAdm can explain in more detail :smile:

To my knowledge, the only subject a high A* rate for GCSE is crucial for is medicine. So it depends what you're applying for! I think for most other Oxford courses, GCSEs are looked holistically alongside other things like pre-interview admissions tests, etc. It's also important to note that your GCSE results will be seen in the context of your school's general GCSE performance - so if you went to a school were getting 1 A* puts you at the top of your year group, that will be known to the admissions people. @BrasenoseAdm can explain in more detail :smile:

I will be applying to a humanities course xD, I am actually quite excited, because I always aimed for Cambridge because I thought Oxford needed 7A*s GCSE or something while Cambridge were focused on UMS. :holmes:. So now I can actually think about and consider Oxford hmm.
I will be applying to a humanities course xD, I am actually quite excited, because I always aimed for Cambridge because I thought Oxford needed 7A*s GCSE or something while Cambridge were focused on UMS. :holmes:. So now I can actually think about and consider Oxford hmm.

I'd think you'd be fine for most humanities courses. I believe Law looks at GCSEs a little but not in the same way medicine does!
Does anyone mind if i pm them a question regarding epq im not sure if i could do what I want to do?

It's also important to note that your GCSE results will be seen in the context of your school's general GCSE performance - so if you went to a school were getting 1 A* puts you at the top of your year group, that will be known to the admissions people. @BrasenoseAdm can explain in more detail :smile:

GCSEs will be contextualised by the Oxford Undergraduate Admissions Office for the benefit of selectors:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data?wssl=1

We get asked about exam grades quite a lot. While comparing your GCSEs with results of your peer group provides some guidance, we'd also suggest reflecting on your learning strengths. Which of the following pairs best describes you: the one on the left or the one on the right? If your responses are mainly or all in the right-hand side, then you could do very well in the application process and on course.

Know the answer / Ask probing questions
Interested / Highly curious
Answer the question / Elaborate
Keen listener / Hold strong opinions
Good recall / Good guesser
Alert / Very observant
Like school/ Love learning
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
GCSEs will be contextualised by the Oxford Undergraduate Admissions Office for the benefit of selectors:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data?wssl=1

We get asked about exam grades quite a lot. While comparing your GCSEs with results of your peer group provides some guidance, we'd also suggest reflecting on your learning strengths. Which of the following pairs best describes you: the one on the left or the one on the right? If your responses are mainly or all in the right-hand side, then you could do very well in the application process and on course.

Know the answer / Ask probing questions
Interested / Highly curious
Answer the question / Elaborate
Keen listener / Hold strong opinions
Good recall / Good guesser
Alert / Very observant
Like school/ Love learning

Thank you for this information.

If I understand correctly, the personal statement and the interview are the only ways to determine whether a student is inclined more towards the right or the left. Is there any other method of assessment via which I can convey which side I'm more inclined towards?

Thank you.
Hi all,

Open Days are fast approaching - and we'd love to see you! :smile: More info to be found here, but if you have any questions, do get in touch:
http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/working-schools/open-days

[video="youtube;nljcosTzcNM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nljcosTzcNM[/video]
Trying to think of an epq here :P

Which would be more interesting/more possible? Comparing the French reveloution or the American? or French and Russian reveloution? or Russian and American reveloution?
Original post by CymroArFryn
Hey :smile: I'm considering the LSE, St Andrews and perhaps Warwick. How about you?

LSE (although I think I may prefer the social policy and economics course there over the government and economics one), Warwick, Exeter and either Durham or Nottingham :smile:
Trying to think of an epq here :P

Which would be more interesting/more possible? Comparing the French reveloution or the American? or French and Russian reveloution? or Russian and American reveloution?

(First task for your epq is to spell revolution correctly :P) The Bolsheviks liked to compare themselves to the French Revolution, so that might be a nice parallel to draw. Similarly, it can be argued that one of the causes of the French Revolution was the American Revolution because France helped funding (and then went bankrupt). Those two may be easier to compare due to similar time frames.

Bear in mind that you are not allowed to do it on something you've studied in your lessons. I think all of those are taught at a level so you cannot do those if you study them.

It's also worth noting that at my college at least, any essay/dissertation thing that you write must be a question with an answer. You can't title it as a comparison, you'd have to say 'are these two revolutions similar?'

Good luck! I'm worried about whether my college will let me take an epq because they prefer it if you do it in first year. (And my mum thinks my idea is really boring and says I shouldn't do it)

Latest

Trending

Trending