The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
Good luck to you too! :smile:

GCSE- 10A*
A level- Maths Physics Chemistry History EPQ
Course-Physics
Extra Curriclar- Rowing, singing in 3 choirs, drama, public speaking, tennis, volunteering
Any colleges- No not really, I haven't looked around individual throughly colleges yet
Why Oxford? I've always prefered the city because it always seemed more lively than Cambridge!

I really hope I get in but I'm not going to die if I don't and there are plenty other excellent universities!!
Reply 82
Original post by Beadella101
GCSE- 10A*
A level- Maths Physics Chemistry History EPQ
Course-Physics
Extra Curriclar- Rowing, singing in 3 choirs, drama, public speaking, tennis, volunteering
Any colleges- No not really, I haven't looked around individual throughly colleges yet
Why Oxford? I've always prefered the city because it always seemed more lively than Cambridge!

I really hope I get in but I'm not going to die if I don't and there are plenty other excellent universities!!

Another physics applicant:smile: How's year 12 been so far?
Another physics applicant:smile: How's year 12 been so far?

It's been alright, I've only been back for a week and a half so haven't really got into my subjects yet, it seems fine though (but I might have just jinxed it!) How are you finding it?
Reply 84
It's been alright, I've only been back for a week and a half so haven't really got into my subjects yet, it seems fine though (but I might have just jinxed it!) How are you finding it?

Same for me really. Do you know any good physics books you'd recommend?
Same for me really. Do you know any good physics books you'd recommend?

No not really, sorry I am still getting into my new routine and haven't had time for extra reading yet :smile: !
Reply 86
No not really, sorry I am still getting into my new routine and haven't had time for extra reading yet :smile: !

Oh that's no problem don't worry :smile:
What did you get at GCSE?*8A*3As
What A levels will you be studying? Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing(SSD)
What course will you be applying for? Physics
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Play rugby, bouldering. Also taking an enrichment course and GCSE in astronomy this year :smile:
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? I don't think I would mind too much!! Maybe a smaller one like Corpus Christi?
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Same as OP- don't want to study natural sciences!

What are people doing for work experience this year?
Hope everyone is enjoying AS levels :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Tsunaomi
What did you get at GCSE?*8A*3As
What A levels will you be studying? Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing(SSD)
What course will you be applying for? Physics
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Play rugby, bouldering. Also taking an enrichment course and GCSE in astronomy this year :smile:
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? I don't think I would mind too much!! Maybe a smaller one like Corpus Christi?
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Same as OP- don't want to study natural sciences!

What are people doing for work experience this year?
Hope everyone is enjoying AS levels :smile:

I haven't really found any work experience yet but I'm hoping to find a physics based one such as in a research lab or uni. What about you?
I haven't really found any work experience yet but I'm hoping to find a physics based one such as in a research lab or uni. What about you?

Me either officially! Our local uni is doing a physics work experience couple of days this January that I'm going to apply too!
Have you checked out the Nuffield Research program or any thing like that?? :smile:
GCSEs - 13A*s 1A
A Levels - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology (AS)
Course - Maybe Chemistry or Physics (would be at Oxford), or Chemical Engineering or Natural Sciences (would be at Cambridge)
Extra - curricular: Chemistry Mentoring, DofE Silver, 2 weeks work experience in Cardiology and Radiology, play cricket for school and club, Grade 8 Keyboard.
Colleges - Hopefully one of the main colleges towards the centre, like Trinity or Wadham
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? - Tbh, I haven't decided between Oxford or Cambridge yet, but my choice will depend on the course I end up choosing. I would welcome any tips or advice on how to narrow down my choices even further.

Was also wondering, like others, what people will do/are doing this year, and plan to do in the summer, to bolster their personal statement?
have you started prepping for interview yet? that and the PAT are so so important
Original post by mattpastor
have you started prepping for interview yet? that and the PAT are so so important

You do not need to start prepping for the interview over a year in advance!
Original post by Plagioclase
You do not need to start prepping for the interview over a year in advance!

Thats true, I do think its always best to have as much preparation as possible though, its such a unique exercisr
Thats true, I do think its always best to have as much preparation as possible though, its such a unique exercisr

It is possible to overprepare for an interview, which is certainly how I felt when I had mine. Forget about the interview for the time being and focus on enjoying your subject and reading around as widely as you can.
It is possible to overprepare for an interview, which is certainly how I felt when I had mine. Forget about the interview for the time being and focus on enjoying your subject and reading around as widely as you can.

Did your school prepare you a lot or did you go through a private organism?
Did your school prepare you a lot or did you go through a private organism?

Neither really, I did most of it myself (I did get preparation from school but that was useless).
Neither really, I did most of it myself (I did get preparation from school but that was useless).

so you overprepared yourself haha. I'm French so there's not much help offered at my school. What I found online was super expensive, only affordable thing Ive found so far is something called Teech
so you overprepared yourself haha. I'm French so there's not much help offered at my school. What I found online was super expensive, only affordable thing Ive found so far is something called Teech

You don't need any of these premium Oxbridge preparation services, most of them are scams anyway and they don't have any information that you can't get for free from the university. There is some interview-specific preparation that you can do but you don't need to worry about that just yet. The most important thing, by far, is that you're (1) good at your subject and (2) passionate about your subject and the best thing you can do right now to improve those is to keep working hard at school and to read widely.
You don't need any of these premium Oxbridge preparation services, most of them are scams anyway and they don't have any information that you can't get for free from the university. There is some interview-specific preparation that you can do but you don't need to worry about that just yet. The most important thing, by far, is that you're (1) good at your subject and (2) passionate about your subject and the best thing you can do right now to improve those is to keep working hard at school and to read widely.

I mean I did one session on Teech for like where the guy did a sort of mock interview to give me an idea of what to expect and thought it was quite useful. But yeah i'll focus on the subject and reading about it for now!

Latest

Trending

Trending