Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been really struggling to come to terms with my hair loss for over a year now. I am only 18 and already I can be said to be considerably balding. It makes me so self conscious and I am really worried about what this may mean in terms of (or lack of) relationships, since girls my age have probably never come across a guy their age who is balding. I start Uni next month and this is getting me really depressed now, the only treatments are really expensive and not 100% guaranteed to work.

I have been well and truly *****-slapped by mother nature.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been really struggling to come to terms with my hair loss for over a year now. I am only 18 and already I can be said to be considerably balding. It makes me so self conscious and I am really worried about what this may mean in terms of (or lack of) relationships, since girls my age have probably never come across a guy their age who is balding. I start Uni next month and this is getting me really depressed now, the only treatments are really expensive and not 100% guaranteed to work.

I have been well and truly *****-slapped by mother nature.
    Honestly, I panicked so badly when I started getting gray hairs at 16 for the same reasons. I can't afford to dye my hair all the time, and you can still see them anyway. I now have a massive white-ish streak that's really visible from the front and sides, but I've come to terms with it. I know it's not really the same, but I can understand. It's really not that big of a deal though. Once you come to terms with it and start gaining your confidence back, everything will be a lot better. At 18, I've definitely come across guys my age in the same situation. They still got plenty of dates. Just don't let it define you! Try and keep your hair in as good condition as possible so as not to speed up the process, and you could even see a barber for their help in covering it up a bit if that's what you want. Good luck, and have fun at uni!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.