ClydeJ
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

In the year just gone (year 10) I did my Edexcel GCSE Maths (Higher Tier). Yesterday I received my result (A*). In my school if you take the exam early and you get an A* then you are able to do Further Maths and Additional Maths in Year 11. I was wondering if any of you have done Further and/or Additional Maths?
And if so, how did you find them in comparison to regular GCSE maths and did you find that they helped you go on to do A Level Maths and Further Maths?

Thanks!
ClydeJ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey is anyone able to help me with this?
Flynx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I have just completed FM, and to compare maths to FM is hard since FM is often much more applied, like physics.

Did FM help me with maths and vice-versa? Absolutely, Especially once I got to doing core 3/4 with all the integration stuff it was very helpful

How much harder was it? Comparing it to core 1/2 makes it seem extremely difficult, but once you get into core 3/4 they not too far apart but still quite a lot more complex as you go into a lot of the stuff you do in maths, but in more depth
AsianMetalhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At GCSE I did both further and additional maths, getting a A^ and an A respectively. Now after finishing my A levels I can say that they both do help somewhat with bits of the standard maths A level, with some of the FM GCSE helping with the further pure 1 module due to the manipulation of 2x2 matrices.
Overall I think the biggest impact FM GCSE/Additional maths had was that Add maths introduces you to kinematics, which is essentially mechanics 1, but you shouldn't fret if you're doing the extra maths just so that it'll help your A levels, if anything it's just more maths practice so you're better able to spot mistakes and solve problems
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
56.09%
I don't have everything I need (245)
43.91%

Watched Threads