The Student Room Group

Do my GCSES affect my chances of University?

My GCSE results were okay, not as good as I would have liked them to be. I got 1A, 6Bs and 3Cs. I know I could have done better, but I know that I will work 10x harder at A-Levels. I would really like to do Law and I'm not quite sure what University I want to go to. At the moment I'm really worried that these could affect me and my applications at universities.
Original post by megan.jayne16
My GCSE results were okay, not as good as I would have liked them to be. I got 1A, 6Bs and 3Cs. I know I could have done better, but I know that I will work 10x harder at A-Levels. I would really like to do Law and I'm not quite sure what University I want to go to. At the moment I'm really worried that these could affect me and my applications at universities.

In some cases yes, but not always. They're still good results, and as long as you do well in your A-levels I don't think any problems should arise. If you're really concerned, you might be able to resit the grade C ones and up the grades although I wouldn't recommend resitting 3 GCSES alongside A-Levels unless they're important subjects.
Reply 2
What they mostly ask about is:
Highest science grade,
Maths grade,
How many other above or including a C

I have no idea about Oxbridge but thats what the average uni looks at, and keep in mind this is if you try to get in through clearing, If you get the required A-Levels there will be no problems with the results you got
Reply 3

I'm in the exact same position as you, with 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs and I also feel as though I could've done better. I also want to do Law in a Russle group uni and I feel my grades may affect my academic future.

Well, if they didn't, universities wouldn't ask for them, would they?

Get AAA and you'll be fine.
Thank you, these have all really helped.

Quick Reply

Latest