Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm a new undergrad starting in September 2016, I didn't get any of my chosen accommodations but i've been given a studio at Birks Grange. I didn't really want a studio because of the isolation, but it's my only option at the minute. Has anyone stayed here before, if so is there anything I should know, or do you have any tips about Birks Grange Studios?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, How was your experience in a studio?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So Birks has 2 types of studios, the new blocks which are all studios. I had a studio in one of the catered blocks A-E. At first it was quite isolating because everyone else on my floor went to eat together and I spent a lot of time in my room. I'd just say if you did end up in one of these then it's just really important to make an effort to get to know people early on, join societies and other things. The new blocks which are all studios seem a bit more social and people seem to know each other a bit better.
    In terms of the actual room, mine was pretty big compared to other rooms, not as modern as the new blocks but not really dated either. Had plenty of facilities for cooking, the only problem I had is the freezer was rather small.
    One thing to consider with studios is buying food, a lot of people got online deliveries. I normally went into town to get my food from the supermarket but it is a bit of a pain carrying it back up so it'd be up to you really.
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exe098)
    Hey,
    So Birks has 2 types of studios, the new blocks which are all studios. I had a studio in one of the catered blocks A-E. At first it was quite isolating because everyone else on my floor went to eat together and I spent a lot of time in my room. I'd just say if you did end up in one of these then it's just really important to make an effort to get to know people early on, join societies and other things. The new blocks which are all studios seem a bit more social and people seem to know each other a bit better.
    In terms of the actual room, mine was pretty big compared to other rooms, not as modern as the new blocks but not really dated either. Had plenty of facilities for cooking, the only problem I had is the freezer was rather small.
    One thing to consider with studios is buying food, a lot of people got online deliveries. I normally went into town to get my food from the supermarket but it is a bit of a pain carrying it back up so it'd be up to you really.
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions
    Hey I've been placed in a studio and was wondering is it mainly first years who will be living with me? I heard someone say before that there are often post grads in the studios so I'm a bit worried about that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebelljar98)
    Hey I've been placed in a studio and was wondering is it mainly first years who will be living with me? I heard someone say before that there are often post grads in the studios so I'm a bit worried about that!
    Hey, which block are ya at? I'm at block M... And yes, I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME WORRY, but i think it's fine, they mostly have international students there i heard... XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabeyeap)
    Hey, which block are ya at? I'm at block M... And yes, I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME WORRY, but i think it's fine, they mostly have international students there i heard... XD
    Ahh I'm block M too!!! 😄😄😄

ReputationRep:
    Niceeee, I'll add you as a friend on Facebook? PM me on student room ahaha 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I'm block M too!!! 😄😄😄
    hey! I'm also block M

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there weren't any postgrads on my floor. Some residence life mentors which can be postgrads might be living in studio halls perhaps. There was a 2nd year mentor in my block. I don't think any blocks will be full of postgrads as such because there's often first year insurance students who struggle to get uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exe098)
    Hi, there weren't any postgrads on my floor. Some residence life mentors which can be postgrads might be living in studio halls perhaps. There was a 2nd year mentor in my block. I don't think any blocks will be full of postgrads as such because there's often first year insurance students who struggle to get uni accommodation.
    That's good to know, thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.