Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you allowed to bring the book you are studying into the exam for Edexcel lit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions: Are you allowed to bring your book into the exam to search for quotes? if yes, are you allowed to underline quotes throughout the book? if you aren't allowed to bring your book that you are studying for the exam, how many will you be expected to remember?

I am also curious about how good your grammar/spelling needs to be to take this course. So, if anyone could offer me any insight that'd be great.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I am talking about A level, not GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Uhm as far as I know you have to remember quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shockez)
    Uhm as far as I know you have to remember quotes.
    Damn, I was hoping I would be able to bring the book im studying into the exam. In my english lit gcse I used an ebook of my text and just used control+f to find quotes by remembering keywords. Guess that won't work this time haha.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by get2work)
    I have a few questions: Are you allowed to bring your book into the exam to search for quotes? if yes, are you allowed to underline quotes throughout the book? if you aren't allowed to bring your book that you are studying for the exam, how many will you be expected to remember?

I am also curious about how good your grammar/spelling needs to be to take this course. So, if anyone could offer me any insight that'd be great.
    A-level:
    Component 1: Drama - clean copies of drama texts can be taken into the exam, but not the Shakespeare critical anthology.

Component 2: Prose - clean copies of the prose texts can be taken into the exam.

Component 3: Poetry - clean copies of the poetry texts can be taken into the exam.

AS-level:
    Component 1: Poetry and Drama - clean copies of texts can be taken into the exam.

Component 2: Prose - clean copies of the prescribed texts can be taken into the exam.

"clean" copies means you are not allowed to have any form of written notes or anything that will help you in your texts. So no underlying, no post-it notes, no bent corners of pages, no highlighted quotes, no writing in the margins of the book.

Prescribed texts means only the texts you will be studying from that specific thematic choice; two from each i.e. if it was for The Supernatural only the two you studied.

As an A-level English Literature student, you are expected to have a good grasp of English grammar and spelling. The marking is holistic, which means they won't mark you "down" for incorrect grammar/spelling, but it means you won't pick up any marks or you won't be rewarded as high with many AO1 marks which is to have an accurate, written expression.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very helpful response — Thanks a lot. :yes:

My grammar/spelling isn't exactly spectacular. As a dyslexic this is an issue I am trying to overcome but I doubt it will be an issue that is solved by the time I am taking my exams. I'm probably going to be having a scribe. This means no spelling/grammar marks for me! So assuming someone gets zero spelling/grammar marks do you think it is possible for them to achieve an A?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by get2work)
    That's a very helpful response — Thanks a lot. :yes:

My grammar/spelling isn't exactly spectacular. As a dyslexic this is an issue I am trying to overcome but I doubt it will be an issue that is solved by the time I am taking my exams. I'm probably going to be having a scribe. This means no spelling/grammar marks for me! So assuming someone gets zero spelling/grammar marks do you think it is possible for them to achieve an A?
    Well to answer your question in short, no. Just because you could get full marks on AO1, doesn't mean you'll get full marks for the other 4 assessment objectives.

To achieve an A, you would need to have a strong and confident grasp on the other 4 AOs for the exams which includes, knowing literary concepts and terminology; exploring political and social contexts; different interpretations and comparing literature.

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=The Empire Odyssey;67278742]Well to answer your question in short, no. Just because you could get full marks on AO1, doesn't mean you'll get full marks for the other 4 assessment objectives.

To achieve an A, you would need to have a strong and confident grasp on the other 4 AOs for the exams which includes, knowing literary concepts and terminology; exploring political and social contexts; different interpretations and comparing literature.[/QUOTE]

I'd know the literary concepts, terminology and everything else you just mentioned of course. The scribe would be a vehicle to carry my ideas onto the paper. But are you telling me that, even if I had 100% of the knowledge to analyze the texts, I'd still end up with a bad grade due to using a scribe? I managed to get good grades at GCSE English lit and lang, so I will be disappointed if I can not carry on my progress to college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Well to answer your question in short, no. Just because you could get full marks on AO1, doesn't mean you'll get full marks for the other 4 assessment objectives.

To achieve an A, you would need to have a strong and confident grasp on the other 4 AOs for the exams which includes, knowing literary concepts and terminology; exploring political and social contexts; different interpretations and comparing literature.

I'd know the literary concepts, terminology and everything else you just mentioned of course. The scribe would be a vehicle to carry my ideas onto the paper. But are you telling me that, even if I had 100% of the knowledge to analyze the texts, I'd still end up with a bad grade due to using a scribe? I managed to get good grades at GCSE English lit and lang, so I will be disappointed if I can not carry on my progress to college.

ReputationRep:
    For gcse I lost SPAG marks, but it was still very obtainable to get an A. Are you sure a level is different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)

I know I'm doing a different exam board, but on the AQA site it says that only 5% of the markings are for spelling and grammar. So surely i could get an A?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.