The Student Room Group

Medicine??

Hey! I just got my GCSE results and I got 5 A , 3 B and 1 C. Is that good enough to possibly do medicine at uni providing i do chemistry, biology, maths and food&nutrition at a-level?
Thanks in advance!!
Yes
Reply 2
You may not be able to apply to gcse heavy universities like Cardiff or St Georges but as long as you get predicted 3As for year 13 and do well in either UKCAT or BMAT (depending on which one you choose to do) you definitely should apply!
Original post by Daisy589
Hey! I just got my GCSE results and I got 5 A , 3 B and 1 C. Is that good enough to possibly do medicine at uni providing i do chemistry, biology, maths and food&nutrition at a-level?
Thanks in advance!!

Those grades are good, but perhaps a bit below average for Medicine. It's still possible to do Medicine, but you will need to apply wisely when the time comes.
Original post by Daisy589
Thanks in advance!!

Sure!
Just be mindful of where you apply - Cardiff for example would be a definite no as they're pretty GCSE heavy and use a points based system with a pretty high cutoff in their selection process (favours people who've achieved mostly A*s at GCSE). Others, such as Plymouth/BSMS, just use UKCAT/BMAT cutoffs to select people for nterview so you'd be fine so long as you meet their minimum GCSE requirements and your scores are decent.

If you're only starting AS in September it's not something you'll have to worry about for a bit, but it's something to keep in mind. When the time comes, make sure you do your research and you should hopefully be fine.
Congrats on your results and good luck for college! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
As long as you research the university application process well, then this should not prevent you applying. I would avoid Cardiff and Birmingham as they use GCSE results heavily, but other universitys (eg Newcastle) will not look at them at all as long as you have 5 pass grades

Quick Reply

Latest