Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been depressed for 3 years and my parents don't care - please help watch

Hello

So here goes. I've had depression for about three years now and my parents have never even believed I've got it. My teachers do and even my friends do too. There's this teacher at school, Mrs [name removed], who knows about my depression and has been really nice and supportive from the start. But if I speak to her my parents said that they'll take me out of school against my will, and then they'll kill me for embarrassing them!

I really need to speak to this teacher as I've got no one else to talk to, I do speak to my friends occasionally but I don't want to burden them. Plus I'm not close to any of my other family members. There was no actual cause of my depression I don't think, but I think I know now. I think my parents caused my depression. If it wasn't for them I'd probably be free and happy. They've even threatened to force me into marriage and send me to another country to do so.Does anyone have any advice please?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello

So here goes. I've had depression for about three years now and my parents have never even believed I've got it. My teachers do and even my friends do too. There's this teacher at school, Mrs [name removed], who knows about my depression and has been really nice and supportive from the start. But if I speak to her my parents said that they'll take me out of school against my will, and then they'll kill me for embarrassing them!

I really need to speak to this teacher as I've got no one else to talk to, I do speak to my friends occasionally but I don't want to burden them. Plus I'm not close to any of my other family members. There was no actual cause of my depression I don't think, but I think I know now. I think my parents caused my depression. If it wasn't for them I'd probably be free and happy. They've even threatened to force me into marriage and send me to another country to do so.Does anyone have any advice please?
    Hey Anon,

Really sorry to hear you're in such an awful predicament, it's so important to know we have people around us that can support us and be there for us in times of need. It's always upsetting when our parents aren't understanding. It sounds like you have a supportive network around you though, you can always talk to your friends about how you're feeling and if you were to speak to your teacher, you could ask to speak to them in confidence? They should be able to have a chat with you judgement free — especially if she has always been supportive. It's wonderful to have a person like that you can trust.

I'm really sorry that your parents have threatened you like that, it's not OK and it is such a shame they're not supportive, but please do take care. If you are feeling low, know there are so many services which you can make use of and speak to a dedicated counsellor or advisor at no cost. Nightline, Childline and the Samaritans are all there for you, no matter what — however big or small. Online or on the phone.

TSR has an excellent network of people to give advice and support you, but always remember that these services are always available to you at any time. It may be a good idea to perhaps quietly talk to your parents about how they make you feel, sometimes hostile parental attitude towards mental health is because parents don't exactly understand what's going on. It's always good to have someone in your corner, even if you can't talk to your parents — anyone that's willing to help will make a positive difference. :hugs:

Take care and I hope you aren't put off from speaking to your teacher, she sounds lovely.
    Ethan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello

Its terrible that you're in this situation. I don't know much about you, but if you're old enough to travel alone, I'd advise seeing a professional. It's always good to have proof in the case that they confront you about this/you want to talk to them about your depression. It's also a good start to self healing.

I don't like to say this, but recovery really does start with yourself. When you go to talk to a professional- or even a friend- it means you're actively seeking help, and therefore you really want to recover. So when you're ready to take this step, just know that it means you're making progress. Progress is good.

Is there a particular reason for their stigma regarding mental health and depression in particular? I'm not comfortable speaking to my parents about depression, but I'm sure that they'd be understanding. In any case, I hope that even without their help, you will have other people to rely on for support. Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed to accept or ask for help.

I was suffering from depression about a year ago. I got in trouble with a teacher who really didn't like me, and she was pretty rude about the whole thing. I didn't break down under the pressure, though. I was pretty used to being insulted. My form teacher pulled me out of class and sat me down to have a talk. I thought she was going to berate me for screwing up, but instead she asked me if I was okay. I swear I cried for a good hour. I felt instantly lighter after I'd settled down, even though I hadn't actually explained anything to her. I got the courage to talk openly to my friends, and I found out that they'd gone through/were going through similar things. If I hadn't opened up to them, both myself and them couldn't have supported each other as much as we did. Basically, open up when you're ready (and if you're not, you can always post anonymously here).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.