Turn on thread page Beta

bants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanner)
    So I got my GCSE results and was pretty disappointed. I didn't really revise a lot and because I go a school where the pass rate will likely be below 40% this year, my school didn't exactly push me to do well (Ofsted have said that it's inadequate). I just spent the last 2 years chilling in lessons and then when May hit I was like 'oop best start revising then xd'. For some of the subjects, I didn't even know the content of the exam I was sitting until the night before. The school taught me nothing.

So yeah, it was definitely a last minute job for me in terms of GCSEs. I got 5A*s 5As and a Dist* but I like to tell myself it's 6A*s lol. I'm going to get a subject remarked because I was close to an A* so that might become 6 (or 7 lol).

Luckily for me, I'm moving to a 6th form which isn't full of ****. I know that A-levels are a huge step up and I plan on starting to study properly when school starts, rather than in the month my exams start. Honestly I was way too calm for my own good. I wasn't stressed at all.

I obviously aspire for the highest grades possible, but will my not-quite-outstanding GCSEs hinder me in terms of going all out?? (oxbridge uno) Will they be like 'okay he went to a **** school so contextually he's done alright' or nah?

I want to take my A-Levels seriously and try as hard as possible unlike my GCSEs. The main thing is, I don't know how I'll cope with the step up in actual content difficulty, and the step up in school quality. Any help on how to do so? Would making a timetable be a good idea? Anything would be appreciated
    made a thread on this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4197729

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanner)
    So I got my GCSE results and was pretty disappointed. I didn't really revise a lot and because I go a school where the pass rate will likely be below 40% this year, my school didn't exactly push me to do well (Ofsted have said that it's inadequate). I just spent the last 2 years chilling in lessons and then when May hit I was like 'oop best start revising then xd'. For some of the subjects, I didn't even know the content of the exam I was sitting until the night before. The school taught me nothing.

So yeah, it was definitely a last minute job for me in terms of GCSEs. I got 5A*s 5As and a Dist* but I like to tell myself it's 6A*s lol. I'm going to get a subject remarked because I was close to an A* so that might become 6 (or 7 lol).

Luckily for me, I'm moving to a 6th form which isn't full of ****. I know that A-levels are a huge step up and I plan on starting to study properly when school starts, rather than in the month my exams start. Honestly I was way too calm for my own good. I wasn't stressed at all.

I obviously aspire for the highest grades possible, but will my not-quite-outstanding GCSEs hinder me in terms of going all out?? (oxbridge uno) Will they be like 'okay he went to a **** school so contextually he's done alright' or nah?

I want to take my A-Levels seriously and try as hard as possible unlike my GCSEs. The main thing is, I don't know how I'll cope with the step up in actual content difficulty, and the step up in school quality. Any help on how to do so? Would making a timetable be a good idea? Anything would be appreciated

After I got my results my parents wanted to put me into a grammar school for sixth form, but I found out that people who go to a bad/normal school have an advantage at being selected. For example, if someone from a bad/normal school got As and someone from a decent grammar school got As, the person from the normal school would be at an advantage.

And I especially think that they would take that into consideration with you, as you said 40% pass rate and you managed to get As and A*s - that is more of a successful achievement than say someone who got the same at a school with an 80% pass rate, such as mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanner;[url="tel:67239840")
    67239840[/url]]So I got my GCSE results and was pretty disappointed. I didn't really revise a lot and because I go a school where the pass rate will likely be below 40% this year, my school didn't exactly push me to do well (Ofsted have said that it's inadequate). I just spent the last 2 years chilling in lessons and then when May hit I was like 'oop best start revising then xd'. For some of the subjects, I didn't even know the content of the exam I was sitting until the night before. The school taught me nothing.

Wait. Hold up. Wtf, you're disappointed with 6 A*'s and 5 A's wtf that's amazing, I literally revised so hard and got a A/B average

ReputationRep:
    stfu with all the ******** you got good results

ReputationRep:
    You did absolute ****.
    Try harder next time.

Okay, you know you did well. Stop depricating yourself

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.