Tv Licence Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
In a previous post on what to take to uni, someone said a TV, but there is the issue about a TV licence.

I only intend on using a tv when i take one upto uni for my xbox, not to watch tv. I believe that you only need to pay a tv licence if you have the ability to recieve channels, and u cant if you dont have your aerial plugged in. So i wont need to pay a tv licence?

anyone with FIRM facts and not guesses would be most appreciated, cause i dont want to be landed with a £1000 fine!

errr, also, for anyone at uni, can u easily get away with watching TV in ur dorm without a tv licence. i.e hide a tv aerial under ur floor boards then take it out when u want to watch tv etc

cheers for any help
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
In a previous post on what to take to uni, someone said a TV, but there is the issue about a TV licence.

I only intend on using a tv when i take one upto uni for my xbox, not to watch tv. I believe that you only need to pay a tv licence if you have the ability to recieve channels, and u cant if you dont have your aerial plugged in. So i wont need to pay a tv licence?

anyone with FIRM facts and not guesses would be most appreciated, cause i dont want to be landed with a £1000 fine!

errr, also, for anyone at uni, can u easily get away with watching TV in ur dorm without a tv licence. i.e hide a tv aerial under ur floor boards then take it out when u want to watch tv etc

cheers for any help
No idea, check this out:
http://www.tv-l.co.uk
Swarz
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
According to my brother, using a TV but not receiving signals means you don't need a TV Licence.

He previously did a Film Studies course, and used his TV only for watching Videos. As he didn't have an aerial connected, he didn't have to pay for a licence.

I'm assuming the same applies for any console you'll hook up.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a complete con! What do the BBC actually show that's good anyway? Neighbours? EastEnders? The Simpsons? And what's the point of paying for ad-free television when the BBC are constantly advertising themselves? I've only got to turn the TV on and I see that super-annoying 'where's your head' clip and the two boys with long necks.

:mad: @ BBC
scorpio
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ahhh, i know this is guillermo! i have the perfect solution. you take a TV with you and you get your dad to make a casing around the TV that is made of lead metal. that way, the TV licensing man cannot detect the signals from the TV. so you get free TV. Only problem now is to see if you can find sheets of lead so you can piece together and form some kind of casing to fit around the back and side of your TV.
Rob S
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scorpio)
ahhh, i know this is guillermo! i have the perfect solution. you take a TV with you and you get your dad to make a casing around the TV that is made of lead metal. that way, the TV licensing man cannot detect the signals from the TV. so you get free TV. Only problem now is to see if you can find sheets of lead so you can piece together and form some kind of casing to fit around the back and side of your TV.
And see-thru lead to cover the front, of course.
Icarus
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just read the TV Licensing website; the method they use sounds like they can only detect signals "when a TV is switched on" - so even though it says you need a licence if your PC has a "broadcast card", it looks like they won't be able to detect it. Hmmm, guess I should go ahead and buy one then...
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The whole thing about only needing a licence if you can recieve signals is stupid anyway. TV singals are just radiowaves, which technically means they can be recived by any piece of metal in your room, regardless of whether it's connected to your TV or not.

On another note - how do they detect whether your tv is on - would the be able to detect a tv card playing through a pc?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought that if you listed your parents' address as your place of residence then you'd still be covered by their licence.
Suk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Erm nobody at uni has a tv license and they use it to watch tv. Basically some get caught out but they have to give u a notification bla bla and u just ring up telling them you aren't using your tv/only for consoles as they can't tell what your using your tv for just its there so can't give u any fine. They never recheck anyhows, i mean theres like 200-300 unlicensed tvs in the halls to check!
And thats only if you are unlucky... all my sisters/cousins (int toal about 10) who have previously been to uni, took a tv, no license and it was fine. One got a notification i mentioned before but then just rang them up and it was easy to do.
elisabeth_rb
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

cheers for any help
We and several of our friends only use our tvs for vidoe watching and none of us have to pay TV licensing. It's perfectly above board and OK to do that. The Licensing people may send you the odd letter here and there, but there's no need to fret if they do, just tell them the truth and, if they decide to visit, they'll just see it's as you said.

Elisabeth=)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Tek, the only way you can be covered by your parents tv licence is if you are watching it on a battery powered appliance. Im not sure if this would include laptops as these can be both battery powered and mains powered.

If you have a tv and are going to only use it for consoles etc. don't have it tuned in to any channels. They will often come round and want proof that this is all it's being used for and if it's tuned in they can claim you are receiving tv channels.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.68%
Worried (291)
18.16%
Terrified (363)
22.66%
Meh (144)
8.99%
Confused (35)
2.18%