Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 19 rn and starting the first year of uni after taking a gap year. I thought taking a year out would give me the opportunity to clear my head and decide on what career I wanted to pursue but it hasn't.
    Part of me wants to priortise my career and take my chosen degree of economics and move to the city/canary wharf after graduating etc
    But another part of me wants to do a biology degree and become a biology teacher- I could start a family and juggle that with being a teacher..plus I'm quite a 'bubbly' person (or so I've been told on countless occassions)
    Being lonely scares me a lot. Ideally I want to be married with a kid by the time I'm 30
    I'm just so torn rn..biology teacher or a job in finance?

ReputationRep:
    Quiet being a *****, remember how the song goes... ' money, money, money'

ReputationRep:
    you can still start a family with a career in economics! I wouldn't worry about that bit too much! Just make the decision on whether you prefer Economics or Biology! (An Economics degree will almost certainly pay better though so keep that in mind! haha)

ReputationRep:
    An economics career will probably pay more but will obviously take more of your time up.

Personally, I would prefer a job which doesn't necessarily pay excellently but allows me to have a life outside of work.

(Original post by SackSly)
    you can still start a family with a career in economics! I wouldn't worry about that bit too much! Just make the decision on whether you prefer Economics or Biology! (An Economics degree will almost certainly pay better though so keep that in mind! haha)
    I just don't want to be so career orientated that before I know it I'm a 30 year old woman whose biological clock is ticking
    (Original post by alouette-)
    An economics career will probably pay more but will obviously take more of your time up.

Personally, I would prefer a job which doesn't necessarily pay excellently but allows me to have a life outside of work.
    True , a job in finance/economics is intense :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Money isn't everything. You want a career that will make you happy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.