Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, today I received my GCSE results and I got 7A's 1B and 1D which allowed me to get into the sixth form of my choice.

However I decided to research what A-level grades would I specifically need to take certain courses at University. Many of the courses required a GCSE grade in a
    modern foreign language of a grade C or above but I only got a D in German.

what I was wondering about is how important is the modern foreign language
    when I do apply for university and if I can get in with any other qualification to
    prove I can speak another language (for example a level 3 course which I can
    take over the summer holidays)

I also want to know if being bi-lingual helps the situation that I am in because I
    speak Albanian with my family at home?

thank you for reading my post and hopefully you can answer my questions

ReputationRep:
    What and where do you want to study ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LekaD)
    <OP>
    I mentioned my bilingualism in my personal statement and tied it into Model United Nations - being able to see different national points of view because you're in contact with multiple cultures at once. You're effectively trying to highlight certain soft skills: critical thinking, being able to see different sides of an argument, a certain openness to new ideas, etc. How important this is in the grand scheme of things depends on the uni and the course.

I'd personally suggest you get some sort of qualification certifying you can speak Albanian, so that you can use it as hard evidence to prove your bilingualism.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with needing a qualification. If it's the OP's mother tongue, s/he shouldn't need proof in the form of a qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alouette-)
    I'm not sure where since I haven't finished my A-levels but definitely in London

For example if I want to study economics at UCL it mentions I need a grade C
    GCSE (or equivalent)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...mics-bsc-econ/

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with needing a qualification. If it's the OP's mother tongue, s/he shouldn't need proof in the form of a qualification.
    Depends on whether she puts herself down as Albanian on UCAS (many bilinguals also happen to have dual citizenship). If not, she's going to have to at least mention the fact that her native tongue is Albanian somewhere in her P.S. In any case, having a formal qualification for a language is never bad for one's CV in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Depends on whether she puts herself down as Albanian on UCAS (many bilinguals also happen to have dual citizenship). If not, she's going to have to at least mention the fact that her native tongue is Albanian somewhere in her P.S. In any case, having a formal qualification for a language is never bad for one's CV in the future.
    My Parents originally came from Kosovo which is why I can speak Albanian however I do not have a citizenship since I was
    born in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LekaD)
    Hi, today I received my GCSE results and I got 7A's 1B and 1D which allowed me to get into the sixth form of my choice.

However I decided to research what A-level grades would I specifically need to take certain courses at University. Many of the courses required a GCSE grade in a
    modern foreign language of a grade C or above but I only got a D in German.

what I was wondering about is how important is the modern foreign language
    when I do apply for university and if I can get in with any other qualification to
    prove I can speak another language (for example a level 3 course which I can
    take over the summer holidays)

I also want to know if being bi-lingual helps the situation that I am in because I
    speak Albanian with my family at home?

thank you for reading my post and hopefully you can answer my questions
    Out of interest, apart from UCL which unis/courses require a foreign language GCSE? (Apart from language courses.)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't researched too much in where I want to study as I haven't started my
    a-levels yet but I want to continue studying in London:

for example if I want to study economics at UCL it mentions that I need grade C in a modern foreign language (or GCSE equivalent)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LekaD)

for example if I want to study economics at UCL it mentions that I need grade C in a modern foreign language (or GCSE equivalent)
    Yes, I know about UCL who are known to be keen on language study. However, if you don't have the required qualification you can take a language course while you are there: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...s/a-level-gcse

Anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    You only need a qualification in a language if you are going on to study that language in uni. If you aren't doing a language based course you don't need any language qualifications. I'm doing Spanish and Italian at uni and I'm pretty certain that having a language qualification when wanting to study a non-language related course at uni is useless

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloverjones)
    I'm pretty certain that having a language qualification when wanting to study a non-language related course at uni is useless
    Why?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by LekaD)

As per ageshallnot, you will find it is only UCL that has this specific requirement (and even then it can be worked around).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Why?
    I'm not saying it's useless as a 'life skill', I'm saying it's useless in regards to physically getting you on to the course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.