Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the summer I have had two jobs, one of which I recently quit from. I started with just one job and recieved my first payslip tax-free. Shortly afterwards I got another job and quite soon after that I got my first payslip from them, however, this was taxed. The reason I was given for it being taxed was that my "personal allowance" was allocated to the first job, and was told by HM Revenue on the phone that once I recieved my last payment from my first employer I should contact HM Revenue and let them know I had left so they could switch my personal allowance to my other employer.

However, I just checked my Personal tax account on the HM Revenue website and they are already aware that I have left my first employer, so my Personal allowance has switched to my current employer. This is an issue as today I recieved my last payment from my first employer and this was taxed.

How should I go about claiming my taxed income from both employers?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Over the summer I have had two jobs, one of which I recently quit from. I started with just one job and recieved my first payslip tax-free. Shortly afterwards I got another job and quite soon after that I got my first payslip from them, however, this was taxed. The reason I was given for it being taxed was that my "personal allowance" was allocated to the first job, and was told by HM Revenue on the phone that once I recieved my last payment from my first employer I should contact HM Revenue and let them know I had left so they could switch my personal allowance to my other employer.

However, I just checked my Personal tax account on the HM Revenue website and they are already aware that I have left my first employer, so my Personal allowance has switched to my current employer. This is an issue as today I recieved my last payment from my first employer and this was taxed.

Call them again, they might be able to get it back to you in your last payslip.

ReputationRep:
    Give Inland Revenue a ring (good luck with that one!) but you may have to wait until the end of the tax year (April) before you can claim tax back for this year. They would argue that even though you don't have a job, there is no guarantee you won't earn above the tax threshold for this tax year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't going to be working for the next few weeks and you aren't claiming benefits you can reclaim your overpaid tax using form P50. I think it took about three months to get the tax back when I used it last year but it's better than waiting until April.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)

Phone HMRC and explain the situation and tell them that you wont earn over the tax threshold for the year and ask for any overpaid tax back. You should get it back next pay day. If not, you should get a cheque through the post.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.