Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So in a debate. No matter what the topic is or whose side anyone is on. If either person or group pushes "burden of proof" to the other side, is this not illogical?

Looking for opinions and thoughts - those who have dealt with debate (in school or elsewhere) is most welcome to post.

ReputationRep:
    There is a teapot orbiting the sun, prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    There is a teapot orbiting the sun, prove me wrong.
    If I thought you were wrong, considering size of the teapot and where it is orbiting, I doubt a small object may stay within orbit or it would be melted. However, I don't see how an indifferent person would need to prove such a statement as correct or incorrect.

An interested individual would ask how or what. A belief may be made or not made.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Needing proof of a statement being true is not illogical would you just believe me if I said I was Jesus?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I am being dense, but which fallacy is it? Can you explain?

I can't think of a single fallacy asking for evidence would fall under.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Needing proof of a statement being true is not illogical would you just believe me if I said I was Jesus?
    I agree. wanting to know a person's supporting evidence for their claim is reasonable. but what about a person who says something but refuses to provide evidence of their claim?

I think there is a clear difference when a person is being doubtful vs. a person making their own claim that you are not Jesus w/o support and refusing to show their support.

would you agree that if I said, I know you are not Jesus, but Tedd is unsure who to believe - that I should tell Tedd why I make my claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Maybe I am being dense, but which fallacy is it? Can you explain?
    that is the question I am asking.

I can't think of a single fallacy asking for evidence would fall under.
    I'm not saying "asking for evidence is illogical or a fallacy."

I am considering the person to whom you would ask for evidence.

if you asked me to support my claim but I refused and told you I didn't have to. would that not seem illogical? could there be some fallacy (appeal to ignorance) that it would fall under or perhaps a new fallacy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.