Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello friends. I just want to check whether this is a things that french people do in their language: using the word 'one' to substitute a noun described earlier in a sentence, such as in:

"We can make all this efforts to make environmentalism a fundamental concern of the young generation, or even of the current one."

=
    "nous pouvons faire tous ces efforts pour rendre l’écologie un intérêt fondamental de la jeune génération, ou même de l'une actuelle."
    As I read that sentence again I realise that it sounds very silly. But anyway, can I say "one" like that in French, or should I put 'la génération' in its place? and i dont suppose the rest of that sentence is grammatical, is it?

dunno if this is the right place to post a question of this sort, but any help would be très appreciated

ReputationRep:
    in this instance you have to repeat "la génération"

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't say 'l'une actuelle', you would say 'l'actuelle'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say "ou même de celle d'aujourd'hui"
    On doit tout faire pour rendre l’écologie une préoccupation fondamentale de la...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.