Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions (not necessarily about getting into University to do Architecture)

1. What is the difference between a Grade I and Grade II listed building; what needs to be considered if a client wants to make changes or renovate particular aspects?

2. What are the regulations regarding a residential new build in different locations

3. How is the current economic climate affecting the building industry and what can an architect do to change this.

4. What are Architectural constraints/challenges (such as costs and materials)

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collinsino)
    I have a few questions (not necessarily about getting into University to do Architecture)

1. What is the difference between a Grade I and Grade II listed building; what needs to be considered if a client wants to make changes or renovate particular aspects?

2. What are the regulations regarding a residential new build in different locations

3. How is the current economic climate affecting the building industry and what can an architect do to change this.

4. What are Architectural constraints/challenges (such as costs and materials)

thank you
    Question 1*
    *According to planing portal the different categories are as follows:
    • Grade I - buildings of exceptional interest (approximately 2 per cent of all listed buildings)
    *• Grade II* - particularly important and more than special interest (approximately four per cent)
    • Grade II - buildings of special interest, warranting every effort being made to preserve them (94 per cent)**

follow link for additional reading: https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/up...ng_consent.pdf

There is numerous pieces of literature reading to this topic on Planning Portland *Historic England.

The link below is a somewhat comprehensive *list from a random local authority but it's best consulting your local planning authority before conducting the works. *Legislation may different in England to that of Scotland.
    **https://www.braintree.gov.uk/info/20...nt_required/2*

To name a few the client should consider: planning permission Social, economical and environment advantages or disadvantages. *

An example being if the building is of local interest what affect is the works going to have on the community.* HR to contract the project i.e. availability of traditional skill sets *

To name a few the client should consider:
    Planning permission
    Social, economical and environment advantages or disadvantages. *An example being if the building is of local interest what affect is the works going to have on the community.*
    HR to contract the project i.e. availability of traditional skill sets *

*Question 2

*Planning portal for approved documents (link below) for residential building regulations, they are such a mundane read but fundamental for building design.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ved_documents*

Q3

UK construction output has fallen in June but there is little evidence *to suggest that the referendum has had an impact.

Office for National Statistics says output fell by 0.9% in June compared with May.*

If you do some research you can find house prices may have dropped. *there is still *massive demand for housing, again if you do some research you can see companies like Barrett homes have *come out of £1.2billion worth of debt since 2008 and are now cash positive mincing a circa £500million profit in the 2015 fiscal year.*

Architects can sort their SH*& out and stop designing stupid buildings to help.

Q4 *

This is a very broad bush question, in the housing section, houses have changed relatively small in design in the last 100 years. *Materials and methodologies can change to speed up construction to meet demand.*

I have tried to answer *your questions briefly but you could literally write a dissertation on some of them haha. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    Question 1*
    *According to planing portal the different categories are as follows:
    • Grade I - buildings of exceptional interest (approximately 2 per cent of all listed buildings)
    *• Grade II* - particularly important and more than special interest (approximately four per cent)
    • Grade II - buildings of special interest, warranting every effort being made to preserve them (94 per cent)**

follow link for additional reading: https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/up...ng_consent.pdf

There is numerous pieces of literature reading to this topic on Planning Portland *Historic England.

The link below is a somewhat comprehensive *list from a random local authority but it's best consulting your local planning authority before conducting the works. *Legislation may different in England to that of Scotland.
    **https://www.braintree.gov.uk/info/20...nt_required/2*

To name a few the client should consider: planning permission Social, economical and environment advantages or disadvantages. *

An example being if the building is of local interest what affect is the works going to have on the community.* HR to contract the project i.e. availability of traditional skill sets *

To name a few the client should consider:
    Planning permission
    Social, economical and environment advantages or disadvantages. *An example being if the building is of local interest what affect is the works going to have on the community.*
    HR to contract the project i.e. availability of traditional skill sets *

*Question 2

*Planning portal for approved documents (link below) for residential building regulations, they are such a mundane read but fundamental for building design.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...ved_documents*

Q3

UK construction output has fallen in June but there is little evidence *to suggest that the referendum has had an impact.

Office for National Statistics says output fell by 0.9% in June compared with May.*

If you do some research you can find house prices may have dropped. *there is still *massive demand for housing, again if you do some research you can see companies like Barrett homes have *come out of £1.2billion worth of debt since 2008 and are now cash positive mincing a circa £500million profit in the 2015 fiscal year.*

Architects can sort their SH*& out and stop designing stupid buildings to help.

Q4 *

This is a very broad bush question, in the housing section, houses have changed relatively small in design in the last 100 years. *Materials and methodologies can change to speed up construction to meet demand.*

I have tried to answer *your questions briefly but you could literally write a dissertation on some of them haha. *
    thank you so so much 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.