The Student Room Group

Can't decide whether to take Maths or Theatre Studies for A Level

Just finished my AS year, got two As in drama and maths. My other subjects are chemistry and biology and they are reformed so no exam in them until the end of this year.

I literally CANNOT decide which one out of maths and theatres studies to take forward and which to drop. I'm applying to medicine.

I enjoy drama and do well at it, but I'm just worried (already lol) about being stressed by all the essays to write. I'm not at all quick at writing essays, as I'm worried about them being 'perfect' etc. Usually by exam time I become faster but it's just such a slow process. I generally enjoy drama more than maths, but we are studying Shakespeare next year :s-smilie:

Ik sometimes like maths, mostly after we've learnt how to do something and are practising it. We started C3 last term and it was really quite hard. I'm starting to wonder whether I've already stretched my mathematical ability to as far as it can go? Idk. The idea of not have the written exam at the end of the year appeals to me, but then again, drama would only be one exam, and maths, three. I feel more secure in maths, like I feel we have more resources for practise and yeh, idk.

It's such a hard decision as on the whole, I like drama more than maths but I can't let go of either and ugggghhh. So confused can't sleep.

There's no way I can take both as I don't need to and I'm easily stressed as you can probably tell lol.
You got A grades in both. I think you should have the confidence to continue with both.

If you absolutely have to decide between the two I'd say pick maths because it is most relevant to what you want to do. Also, an A level in maths can open more doors than A level theatre studies. I say this as someone who did A level theatre studies and drools over the bursaries available for someone training to be a maths teacher.
A level maths would probably be 'easier' to get higher marks....imo
Original post by Orlanda
Just finished my AS year, got two As in drama and maths. My other subjects are chemistry and biology and they are reformed so no exam in them until the end of this year.

I literally CANNOT decide which one out of maths and theatres studies to take forward and which to drop. I'm applying to medicine.

I enjoy drama and do well at it, but I'm just worried (already lol) about being stressed by all the essays to write. I'm not at all quick at writing essays, as I'm worried about them being 'perfect' etc. Usually by exam time I become faster but it's just such a slow process. I generally enjoy drama more than maths, but we are studying Shakespeare next year :s-smilie:

Ik sometimes like maths, mostly after we've learnt how to do something and are practising it. We started C3 last term and it was really quite hard. I'm starting to wonder whether I've already stretched my mathematical ability to as far as it can go? Idk. The idea of not have the written exam at the end of the year appeals to me, but then again, drama would only be one exam, and maths, three. I feel more secure in maths, like I feel we have more resources for practise and yeh, idk.

It's such a hard decision as on the whole, I like drama more than maths but I can't let go of either and ugggghhh. So confused can't sleep.

There's no way I can take both as I don't need to and I'm easily stressed as you can probably tell lol.

Definitely maths but think what sort of job you want to do.
Original post by Orlanda

Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502

Medicine
Reply 6
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
You got A grades in both. I think you should have the confidence to continue with both.

If you absolutely have to decide between the two I'd say pick maths because it is most relevant to what you want to do. Also, an A level in maths can open more doors than A level theatre studies. I say this as someone who did A level theatre studies and drools over the bursaries available for someone training to be a maths teacher.

I wish I had the confidence to continue with both, but I don't, unfortunately. I would prefer to take 3 A Levels and really be able to focus on getting high marks in all, as well as having the time to do extra curricular stuff and just generally being able to 'have a life' if ygm.

Maths does seem more relevant but equally, there's something different about drama, and quite a few people I've spoken to at unis have said they like the sound of drama as it makes me stand out.
Reply 7
Original post by Scotsgirl64
A level maths would probably be 'easier' to get higher marks....imo

You're probably right.
I probably should have mentioned that I'm predicted an A* in drama but (only) an A in maths.
If you're applying for medicine then maths would look far more attractive to universities.
Reply 9
Original post by JRKinder
If you're applying for medicine then maths would look far more attractive to universities.

I don't think it will. They have no preference over your third choice, as long as you have biology and chemistry- which I do. If I was applying to Oxbridge it would be a different story
Reply 10
Do whichever you enjoy the most.
THEATRE!!!! DO THEATRE!!!!
Its hard work I'm not going to lie but its a really nice break from constant academic subjects!! We have to do 5 A-levels and I enjoy theatre the most and just got an A in AS. Im not just saying this from a girl who likes theatre's perspective; in my class there are prospective lawyers, zoologists and doctors and they say how its given them so much confidence!:u:
Original post by Orlanda
Medicine

If you're doing Medicine just check with your preferred universities that they accept Drama as a third subject. Some universities don't accept certain subjects so it's better just to check and if it's ok just go with whatever subject you fee you'd be more likely to get an A in! I was debating between dropping Maths or English Language between AS and A2 as people told me English Language was a 'soft subject' but I got into medical school so as long as Drama is an accepted subject you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest