Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which mathematics and further mathematics modules are the easiest? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a retake studentthis year I am doing maths and further maths and will be starting again from year 12I had AAD for C1, C2, M1I am still surprised how low I got for M1 and thats the reason I am taking it. I love mechanics and find statistics extremely difficult. So over the two years is this the easiest mathematics module set?AS Maths- C1, C2, M1 A2 Maths- C3, C4, M2

Further AS MATHS- FP1, FP2, D1 At A2 Further Maths- FP3, D2, S1

additional question: is FP2 considered to be at AS generally or at A2?

I have never done further maths before
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by emprex)
    I am a retake studentthis year I am doing maths and further maths and will be starting again from year 12I had AAD for C1, C2, M1I am still surprised how low I got for M1 and thats the reason I am taking it. I love mechanics and find statistics extremely difficult. So over the two years is this the easiest mathematics module set?AS Maths- C1, C2, M1 A2 Maths- C3, C4, M2

You can technically do FP2 at AS FM but I wouldn't suggest it (not that it matters if you're doing it all in one go).

You said you find statistics extremely difficult (and you got a low mechanics grade as well) but I would say try again with stats. I did FP1-2, S1-4, M1 and D1 for FM (and 2 applied modules go to A-level maths) and the stats is fine to self teach, and I would say that was the easiest combination for someone who doesn't find stats boring or difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emprex)

I did FP2 for my AS FM, but I have to say, it's a beast of a module unless you know C3/4 very well. If you're not confident with C3/4, then I wouldn't recommend trying to do FP2 early. I'd recommend you put S1 in AS FM and keep FP2 as an A2 unit. *

In terms of the what the 'easier' modules are, I think it depends. For example, you often hear a lot of people say D1 is quite easy, but the papers are actually becoming quite hard. I personally found S2 to be one of the easiest modules I self-taught, simply because it's quite fun and can be fairly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Maths: core 1/2/3/4, mechanics 1, statistics 1
    Further Maths: further pure 1/3, decision 1/2, mechanics 2, statistics 2

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me aswell? I just got my gcse results and want to do aqa further maths at AS level but not sure for year 13 cause of alot of units? It will be a 5th option (for AS at least) , so I am worried if I do it in year 13 I might struggle with biology and chemistry (subjects I find more difficult). Any advice from someone who has done further maths a level? (For reference I got an A* edexcel maths and an A^ for AQA further maths gcse)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLukeAi)
    Can someone help me aswell? I just got my gcse results and want to do aqa further maths at AS level but not sure for year 13 cause of alot of units? It will be a 5th option (for AS at least) , so I am worried if I do it in year 13 I might struggle with biology and chemistry (subjects I find more difficult). Any advice from someone who has done further maths a level? (For reference I got an A* edexcel maths and an A^ for AQA further maths gcse)
    Thanks
    Don't do 5 at AS, that would be grade suicide, just do the 4 you feel will be most relevant to the career you're interested in, if you feel that further maths would be relevant and you're happy doing it, it's honestly not as bad as teachers say it is, I would put it on the difficulty level just a little above physics, as for which modules I would recommend as the easiest, check my post above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLukeAi)
    Thanks
    You should be more than capable. I did 5 A Levels and as long as you balance your workload effectively, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're good at.

Some people can do mechanics with their eyes closed so for them I'd say M1,M2 and even M3. Others can't visualise it at all and find it really hard.

D1 and D2 have trivially easy content but imo the exams are the worst I've ever sat (I would rather grate my fingers off with a cheese grater than do D1).

Personally, I think S1 and S2 are pretty easy. If you learn the distributions its literally just a matter of plugging the numbers in.

FP2 is an A2 module imo. I think its considered by a decent number of people to be the hardest module. Its less conceptually difficult than FP3 but the questions tend to be more convoluted. Myself, I found FP3 harder.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.