Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm coming up to having to decide what I want to do at University. I am really passionate about Music and Musical History and am thinking of studying it at University. I then want to do a Law Conversion Course afterwards and practise as a barrister with the opportunity of going into Politics at some point in the future. Is a Music degree looked on favourably? Would people regard it as a "Mickey Mouse" degree? Will doing a Music degree limit my chances of employment to different fields in the future such as Law or Politics? I've been told that it helps you stand out from other job applicants? But are there any disadvantages to taking this route? Really tough decision and I just want to know that by doing this, I am still able to be financially secure in the future.

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    I am not an employer as I am 19, but I could be say in 10 years time.
    I personally see this as a hobby and I doubt I would see things differently in the future
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've answered your post on your identical thread in the 'art and design uni courses' area of TSR - check out what I said, OP :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enyi_okpara)
    Hello!

I'm coming up to having to decide what I want to do at University. I am really passionate about Music and Musical History and am thinking of studying it at University. I then want to do a Law Conversion Course afterwards and practise as a barrister with the opportunity of going into Politics at some point in the future. Is a Music degree looked on favourably? Would people regard it as a "Mickey Mouse" degree? Will doing a Music degree limit my chances of employment to different fields in the future such as Law or Politics? I've been told that it helps you stand out from other job applicants? But are there any disadvantages to taking this route? Really tough decision and I just want to know that by doing this, I am still able to be financially secure in the future.

Thank You!
    I would say it is an unusual choice of degree for someone wishing to become a lawyer.*The Bar in particular can be snooty about academics. Is Oxbridge a realistic prospect?*

If financial security is a primary concern I would consider carefully that the majority of practising barristers are effectively self-employed and it is a minority of those that earn particularly good money. Those chambers which do offer good pay can afford to be especially selective.

In short, I think that by studying music you would not give yourself the best odds of securing a financially secure position at the Bar, to the extent this exists.

ReputationRep:
    A music degree shows that you have a huge amount of talent, focus and skill. However from an employment perspective it isn't great, in fact to get a job in music is way too difficult. I know you said about going into politics, but studying for a music degree first will not help. If you want to go into law, politics etc, don't bother studying music just go straight into a law degree. Music is more of a hobby rather than a career, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I know I've seen a tenant at either a commercial or a chancery set with a Music degree, but I can't remember where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I would say it is an unusual choice of degree for someone wishing to become a lawyer.*The Bar in particular can be snooty about academics. Is Oxbridge a realistic prospect?*

If financial security is a primary concern I would consider carefully that the majority of practising barristers are effectively self-employed and it is a minority of those that earn particularly good money. Those chambers which do offer good pay can afford to be especially selective.

In short, I think that by studying music you would not give yourself the best odds of securing a financially secure position at the Bar, to the extent this exists.
    I'm hoping to apply to Oxford. It's an academic degree, therefore there is very little playing and more analysis and more history to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.