The Student Room Group

Are White British people more open to marrying Sikhs or Hindus?

I am aware that a lot of white British people(who are mostly atheist) are not open to marrying Muslims, nor are most Muslims open to marrying non-Muslims(regardless of ethnicity). I guess this is because a conversion is required in Islam, and not everyone wants to convert.

But what are the opinions on marrying Hindus and Sikhs? Are they more open to us? Our belief system is not constricted like Islam is, so the Hindu and Sikh parents implementing this are doing this out of culture and not religion.

Of course Hinduism and SIkhism are completely independent religions, but they are similar in the fact they are Indian religions(along with Buddhism). Very open minded in my opinion.
Nothing is written in the religions, in fact I think it could be argued that in some interpretations it could be said that as long as you're doing your duty, its fine.

However, often communities will frown on interracial relationships because of cultural reasons and this backwards mentality of preserving culture.
Reply 2
What do you mean by "having a conversation in Islam???"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fatima.R

Posted from TSR Mobile

it say conversion
Personally, I don't care for ethnicity. I'd marry someone from a Muslim background if they themselves weren't Muslim.

As for Sikhism, I can't say that I know much about the religion, but I've never heard anything particularly bad or against my basic human rights, so I'd probably say sure thaaaang. Buddhism, too.

I am however slightly wary of people who must dress a certain way because of their religion - it's a sheep mentality I doubt I'd enjoy in a potential partner, but if I found someone I liked I'm sure I'd find a way to live with it. Would prefer athiest, however... But who can pick and choose their beloved eh
Reply 5
Original post by Fatima.R

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well a Muslim woman can't marry a non-Muslim man according to the four schools of thought in Sunni Islam and all in Shia Islam too. In a country where Shariah is implemented, it is actually illegal, unless the man is to convert to Islam before the Nikkah.
Reply 6
I don't mind marrying whoever so long as he doesn't thrust his religion and culture and views on me and respects me for who I am and what I believe. I just don't think anyone should have to change themselves too much for the sake of marriage. I find blending into his family hard enough, if I also had to learn his religion, his culture and his language too I'd simply leg it. sorry but no person, no matter how much you love them, should come with so much demand. You're supposed to feel happy and accepted and uplifted in a relationship, not suffocated.
Original post by Anonymous
I am aware that a lot of white British people(who are mostly atheist) are not open to marrying Muslims, nor are most Muslims open to marrying non-Muslims(regardless of ethnicity). I guess this is because a conversion is required in Islam, and not everyone wants to convert.

But what are the opinions on marrying Hindus and Sikhs? Are they more open to us? Our belief system is not constricted like Islam is, so the Hindu and Sikh parents implementing this are doing this out of culture and not religion.

Of course Hinduism and SIkhism are completely independent religions, but they are similar in the fact they are Indian religions(along with Buddhism). Very open minded in my opinion.

Depends on how strong their belief in religion is. A strict christian white would likely not marry outside of their own faith much like muslims don't yet a more liberal atheist white might not have any qualms about it. The problem (if there was any) would likely arise from cultural differences in mindset and potential racism
Reply 8
Whites will generally marry everyone. I have several relatives who are married to whites. They are probably the least ethnocentric group around.
Original post by 41b
Whites will generally marry everyone. I have several relatives who are married to whites. They are probably the least ethnocentric group around.

Wait. You are not white?
Reply 10
Original post by AngryRedhead
Wait. You are not white?

I'm Hindu :wtf:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm a British Indian and lots of my relatives have white people. it is becoming very common.
I'm white and whether someone is hindu/sikh/muslim is irrelevant to me... It'a about where you like them or not :smile: I think I would even consider converting if it was important to them
More grovelling inferiority complexes and "minority" mentalities. Another thread like this! For goodness sake, have some dignity. Stop grubbing around for acceptance from white people - they are no more clever/ stupid, ugly/ pretty as any other group of people on this planet. Look in the mirror and learn to like what you see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will only marry fellow Mexicans
Reply 15
To paraphrase House; 'I don't care about colour or religion. As long as they can help me breed a superior race' :colone:
Original post by sund1ata
More grovelling inferiority complexes and "minority" mentalities. Another thread like this! For goodness sake, have some dignity. Stop grubbing around for acceptance from white people - they are no more clever/ stupid, ugly/ pretty as any other group of people on this planet. Look in the mirror and learn to like what you see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:clap2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending