Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a very sensitive matter to talk about. I would really appreciate any help/ advice I can get on the matter.

I have a very unsupportive family since I went to medical school they all belittled me. I qualified as a doctor but am redoing my year and I feel that this was due to living with the familiy that were constantly putting me down.

I have moved away but I came back for the bank holiday weekend and again they have belittled me.

I now realised I have to stay away from them if I want to move forward. Its really upsetting that they are unsupportive but I would like to ask if anyone had similar experiences and how they dealt with it?

I kniw in the workplace the competitiveness is high and when they sense a weakness in the group they do tend to pick on that person.

Is there any thing that I can do to help the situation?

Thank you for your help.
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have a very sensitive matter to talk about. I would really appreciate any help/ advice I can get on the matter.

I have a very unsupportive family since I went to medical school they all belittled me. I qualified as a doctor but am redoing my year and I feel that this was due to living with the familiy that were constantly putting me down.

I have moved away but I came back for the bank holiday weekend and again they have belittled me.

I now realised I have to stay away from them if I want to move forward. Its really upsetting that they are unsupportive but I would like to ask if anyone had similar experiences and how they dealt with it?

I kniw in the workplace the competitiveness is high and when they sense a weakness in the group they do tend to pick on that person.

Thank you for your help.
    Obviously I feel sorry for you going through this, have you discusssed this with anyone at work?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help.
    Well done for qualifying.

You dont say if you are M or F or give much detail about the belittling. That would give me a better idea on how I might tackle it.

Practical steps you can take.

1. You have financial independence now, so stay awat from family and build up you self confidence. Keep them at arms length as you know they will burn you. Reintrodyce people you truts or keep contact down to e-mails, cards or just people you know you cna trust. Dont stay overnight but stay in your own place where they cnat interfere.

2. Nore difficult in a workplace situation. I doubt everyones like that and I would stay away from the ones that encouraged it. You will need to do 3 and then you cna tackle this again.

3. Belittling is a form of bullying and undermining your self confidence. Confident and self assured people dont let this happen to them and they address the issue there and then. All your colleagues wont be bullies. You should look into getting some assertiveness training or therapy to deal with bullying. It normally revolves around not tolerating their behaviour and calmly confronting it. Assertiveness helps you get the balance correct and then bullies stop doing it.
    Self esteem therpay will help you improve your confidence.

You also need to consider if the reason you feel belittled is because you are too sensitive or get things out of proportion. It cna make you paranoid and worried about things that other people would ignore.

4. Obviously if its organised or a campaign then collect evidence and consider making a complaint, but make sure you have it in proportion. If you did 3 then you should be sgtroinger and more able to deal with it. If its happening then they see soemthing in you that makes them do it. If you have any friends who can be objective then take their views. One advantage is that you will soon be moving all over the country so you get a fresh start.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.