Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm self teaching GCSE maths as I want to get a grade C to give me more options if/when I go back to teacher training (I got a D at school which was 14 years ago and Level 2 Numeracy more recently). I've found somewhere that'll let me take the exam with them but I'm wondering if I should do higher or foundation? Obviously foundation is going to be easier but I heard it's easier to get a C on the higher paper as you only need 33% to get it. I did intermediate at school but this doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how confident you are. My fianceé self taught herself last year for the foundation (she only needed a C), we wasn't too confident she'd pass as it was her weak subject, and she'd only started revising from March onwards.
    But she ended up with a C which surprised us both.
    If you only need a C, go for the foundation. If you're confident you can do better, go for the higher. A lot of the stuff on the higher papers did confuse my partner, so maybe try looking at past papers before you decide?
    Good luck in whatever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    I would do higher because you can score less on that paper to get a C - and there is even a possibility of getting a higher grade than that. But like you said foundation is easier... Yet you'd probably have to learn most or all of the specification whereas on higher you'd probably only need the C-grade topics.

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for foundation, if you have been out of education for a while then foundation would be easier to ease back into. Plus doing higher will only knock your confidence down, if you struggle with it. I would play it safe and pick foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do foundation. You are limiting yourself.
    Use youtube and many past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Go for higher but make sure you know the foundation parts of maths which will help you when you study for the higher paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    I would say go for foundation, if you have been out of education for a while then foundation would be easier to ease back into. Plus doing higher will only knock your confidence down, if you struggle with it. I would play it safe and pick foundation.
    I haven't been out of education long (I graduated from uni in 2014) but I haven't done maths for about 5 years and even then what I did was less complex than what is taught at GCSE.

* Thanks everyone think I might look at past papers. Could anyone recommend me a good revision guide that covers both papers please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I haven't been out of education long (I graduated from uni in 2014) but I haven't done maths for about 5 years and even then what I did was less complex than what is taught at GCSE.

* Thanks everyone think I might look at past papers. Could anyone recommend me a good revision guide that covers both papers please?
    CGP books are always the best for revision guides. Just search CGP followed by the name of your maths spec x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggygeorgieee)
    CGP books are always the best for revision guides. Just search CGP followed by the name of your maths spec x
    I've already looked into those as I used them in them at school. It seems They don't do one book that covers both papers but I'm planning on buying one when I've decided which paper to go for. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Im 24 and retook my GCSE maths this year. I Had a D, maybe even an E I'm not too sure . I went along to the local adult learning assessment day and made it my sole aim to be put forward for the HIGHER course, if i was going to spend 10 months of my life doing something, i saw no point in going in half hearted. I had taken the easy way out of tough things for most of my life, i wasn't going to do it anymore. Any way long story short, i went from ABSOLUTELY NO knowledge of maths or even basic numeracy to achieve an A*. I scored 182/200 marks and is easily my most proudest achievement. I am now starting an A level course. Bottom line is, if you put the effort in, and embrace the constant "WTF" moments and topics, you will do absolutely fine. Buy a collins linear textbook and do every single question in them. What ever you do , DO NOT do the foundation course, i consider it criminal to tell a kid/person that the best possible outcome they can hope for is a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksparrow1111)
    Im 24 and retook my GCSE maths this year. I Had a D, maybe even an E I'm not too sure . I went along to the local adult learning assessment day and made it my sole aim to be put forward for the HIGHER course, if i was going to spend 10 months of my life doing something, i saw no point in going in half hearted. I had taken the easy way out of tough things for most of my life, i wasn't going to do it anymore. Any way long story short, i went from ABSOLUTELY NO knowledge of maths or even basic numeracy to achieve an A*. I scored 182/200 marks and is easily my most proudest achievement. I am now starting an A level course. Bottom line is, if you put the effort in, and embrace the constant "WTF" moments and topics, you will do absolutely fine. Buy a collins linear textbook and do every single question in them. What ever you do , DO NOT do the foundation course, i consider it criminal to tell a kid/person that the best possible outcome they can hope for is a C.
    Wow that's a great, well done on getting an A* I'll look into getting that text book. Did you use any sites as well? I'm leaning more towards the higher now; my boyfriend got an A* and A in GCSE and A level maths and he has offered to help me study the more tricky parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Wow that's a great, well done on getting an A* I'll look into getting that text book. Did you use any sites as well? I'm leaning more towards the higher now; my boyfriend got an A* and A in GCSE and A level maths and he has offered to help me study the more tricky parts.
    thanks, the books i used to hone my skills were

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-GCSE-Ma...ins+gcse+maths

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-GCSE-Ma...JS82AF5WJBHM61

Then around 2 months before the exam i bought this, which is superbly beneficial in terms of the way it words questions in the same manner as the exams. This book assumes you have learned the mechanics and formulas so i recommend buying it in preparation for the exam.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-...maths+revision

I found khan academy quite useful on explaining the complicated topics that you dont quite understand.

PAST PAPERS are so important, as they give you an idea of the sort of questions you will see, if you cannot find them online, (my teacher supplied ours) then go to this youtube channel ......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg4...6voZfG75oFso6w

For about 2 weeks before the exams i watched one of this guys videos each night. He basically goes over every exam paper in detail and talks you through his thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I've recently done my iGCSE maths. I did the higher paper and got a C (only 3 marks off a B but happy enough!). As mentioned if you do a foundation paper you have to get a very high mark. This is normally around 70-80% but on a higher it is normally around 30%. I found YouTube videos very helpful for harder things which I had absolutely no clue about in school for things like trigonometry. If you know which exam board you are going to use I'd also recommend printing off past papers online. You can also view the marking scheme and even the grade boundaries. This will give you a clear idea of where you're at and what needs improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was rather unwell during my GCSE exams, and was convinced to do the foundation paper for maths and have regretted it ever since - I breezed through the paper and only dropped 2 or so marks the entire exam, but still only got a C which is causing me problems now I am applying for uni.

Go for higher tier and don't limit yourself!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.