Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a personal statement for Maths. Would I be thought of as arrogant if I said that I had got a B at GCSE when I was in year 7? I'd look pretty foolish saying it especially as I'm bound to get a rubbish grade in Further Maths AS, so I think it seems like I'm inviting trouble...
    Anyone have any views on this? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    I'm writing a personal statement for Maths. Would I be thought of as arrogant if I said that I had got a B at GCSE when I was in year 7? I'd look pretty foolish saying it especially as I'm bound to get a rubbish grade in Further Maths AS, so I think it seems like I'm inviting trouble...
    lol definitely not...............

put that in, they'll look highly upon that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaSSS)
    lol definitely not...............

put that in, they'll look highly upon that

Along with a terrible Further maths grade? Conflicting isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    You have to put the year of your exam down on your UCAS form anyway, so they will know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You have to put the year of your exam down on your UCAS form anyway, so they will know...
    Sorry I don't get you...

Do you mean I *have* to declare all my results, including my Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't get you...

when you put down your GCSE they will know you done maths early.

example

2003 english
    2003 science
    2003 french
    2003 history
    1998 maths

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't get you...

I was refering to your GCSE grade.

You don't have to declare AS grades if you go on to do the A2. However, for a highly competative course, it will look very dodgy and may count against you if you don't.

Plus your predicted grades will normally be based on your AS grade

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see. So I'm not allowed to omit my GCSE result?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your predicted grades are shown so I think they will have an idea of how you did at AS anyway. In your statement I suggest you add it smoothly by saying something like "I have been interested in mathematics from a very young age" and go on to say you "TRRIED OUT" the gcse early on and got a B. Seems liek the least arrogant way of saying it. WORK ON YOUR FURTHER MATHS Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't omit it if I was you. It's certainly a benefit even considering the further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leonux)
    I wouldn't omit it if I was you. It's certainly a benefit even considering the further maths.
    If i was the admissions tutor i would tend to think if you did it in year 7 why the long gap until you did anything else, and given the gap you should be getting 100% in further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    If i was the admissions tutor i would tend to think if you did it in year 7 why the long gap until you did anything else, and given the gap you should be getting 100% in further maths

I know I should. The long gap is due to the fact that I moved to another country smack bang in the middle, in Year 9, but I returned in year 10. Pointless carrying on an A level then, so I just aimed for an A* in GCSE.

As for further maths, I have only my laziness to blame. It wouldn't have been such an issue if I had done it full time, but I did it in two lessons a week. And it was an odd selection of modules ( P4 before having done P2 or P3 or example)

However I know that there really is no excuse because an A was well within my ability, sheer laziness caused me to do badly. If I had done it full time, I could have got away with the appalingly low amount of work I put into it outside of school. Unfortunately I didn't, and it showed.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent, yes. I would advise you asking your teacher to put things like that in the reference, along with AS Grades and good module scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Hmm. I had a friend who came from China and she should have been in Year 11 or 12. Spent a year learning English and did GCSE English - got a C (sat foundation tier) and something else - got a D. Think it might have been Maths or summat - she didn't understand the questions.

Then entered one of the best state schools in the country for Sixth Form (though went into Year 12 when she really should have been in Year 13). Applied to university for Maths - didn't write down any of the GCSE qualifications, simply the AAAA at AS (Maths, FM, Physics and Econ). Offer from Cambridge to read Maths - and she is by far not a genius at it. Pretty good though

Anyway, she didn't write down any of her GCSEs. Made no difference - 5/6 offers and one rejection as she didn't feel like going to the interview (already held offers from Cam, Imperial and Bath at that point).
    But you have to declare all cashed in qualifications on the UCAS form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    But you have to declare all cashed in qualifications on the UCAS form.
    yep, but as long as your teachers dont find out, ur ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    But she didn't.
    You have to, there is no way around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yep, but as long as your teachers dont find out, ur ok
    And the universities themselves?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just say you didn't live in england so didn't do GCSEs??

ReputationRep:
    thats not true, my teachers told me that if my housemaster doesnt know, you can get away with it

ReputationRep:
    Keep your maths GCSE at yr 7 - it sounds impressive

Hey btw, MUST I declare my AS Eng Lit grade? Thing is yeh, I was dropping it for sure, so I didn't revise and didn't even read my closed book text - got as far as chapter twelve, which is only a third of the book, and I hated the course cus my teacher went on and on about the details of his sex life. Reason being we did Miller's Tale by Chaucer. Now problem here is, I find out Cambridge doesn't like Art A-Level and there is a chance they may not accept it anyway. I do Biology, Chemistry, Art and Eng Lit. I'm expecting summit like C or D for Eng Lit. Not Cambridge grades and is there much point in taking it on for A2 with a result like that? But there's no way I'm dropping Art cus I love it. And I'm taking maths AS nxt yr just so I can get into Med for Cam, or NatSci - maths being my worst subject in which I need at least a very very high B and most probably an A. Ummmm - well?

I don't get it. Cambridge likes self-directed self-reliant self-learning. That's ALL art is! They are the qualities you get from studying art! So WHY doesn't Cam like Art????? I don't get it!!!!!!!! Aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!! !!!!!!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.